«chapter twenty-nine: Broken»

___________________

___________________

NIGHTWING'S POV

I change the cloth out for a fresh one, tossing the blood-soaked one on the floor beside me, and press the new one to her wound, holding it as firmly as I can.

I didn't want her to fall under because you always try to keep someone talking, but she was in so much pain that I hope it doesn't wake her.

It just makes this so much harder, not hearing her snap back at what I say sarcastically. Because if she is snapping back at me, if she is still making jokes, it means this isn't as bad as it could be. And now that she isn't talking, she isn't moving, and she is barely breathing, I feel incredibly helpless and worried that she isn't going to wake up again.

"How is she doing?" I look up to see Wally. He comes and sits down next to me, his eyes on her pale face.

"Ok, still bleeding, but slower I think. She is pretty cold though." I tell him, feeling her cold body. She has snuggled as far into me as possible.

"Good, will she be ok?" He asks.

I nod, "I think she just needs stitches, but I need an actual doctor to make sure. Luckily, it looks like she hit the one area in the stomach where she wouldn't cut anything dangerous, but I don't want to chance it."

Because I can't imagine her not being okay. She is a pain in the ass, but she is more than that too. She is a lot more than what she lets us think she is, what she gives herself credit for.

She saved Haly. She saved him after only a few days of knowing him and somehow also managed to make him love her. And she has saved countless others, on the team and not.

"Luckily." He repeats, snapping me out of my thoughts. "I don't know what their past is, but I doubt it was luck. She probably wanted to watch her bleed out." I clench my jaw at the idea and look down at her, her breathing uneven and shallow.

"She took the knife out, so you are probably right. The knife would have stopped the blood. It would have been better than this."

I look back at him because I can't think about the idea of her dying. Not while she could bleed out in my arms if something goes wrong.

He looks at me for a moment. "Do you-you care about-about her?" He broke off, hesitant like he didn't know if I would get mad.

"I care about everyone on the team." I state, not giving it much thought. Not wanting to.

He nods, "But, I mean, you guys have been enemies forever. And I saw your face when you saw the stab. You weren't just being the leader, you were actually worried she would die. You are worried she will die."