9 | Invasion

The rush of the music filled me back up as the last body part of the figure floated away from me for what seemed like forever. I had no idea what my dreams meant, and that daunting fact made my heart skip a beat.

The party and the music and the festivities all seemed like a cover up for something and every fiber in my body vibrated with fear and anticipation as to what that might be. I remembered Lucian telling me something about a group that had broken away from his "new way of life" for the Fae. But could they really be the issue at hand that drives this man to mask the imminent threat to his kingdom with parties and music?

I was so lost in my own thoughts I hadn't even noticed Weston slip from his throne. A hand rested on my shoulder and I almost jumped out of my skin as I looked over my shoulder to find the brooding man hovering over me.

"Enjoying our customs?" He asked me with a wink of a smile hidden behind his eyes.

I twisted around in his firm grasp to face him. "I don't see how any of this is necessary if you want to kill me." I didn't understand the urgency in asking me the same question his father had just asked me. The small hairs on the back of my neck stood on their ends as I looked at Weston with curiosity.

Weston's hand slipped from my shoulder. "Caelia, we don't want to kill you--at least I don't. But your father was a friend of father's and an enemy to the Crown."

"An enemy?" I sucked in a raspy breath.

He nodded his head with dreary drag of his neck. "Your father was King to the Seelie court. While he and his people did help at the time with the Unseelie court, his people betrayed us."

"How?" Anger was now bubbling up deep in my chest.

Weston sighed as if the matter was ruining his mood for the party. "They began to aid on with the Unseelie court, started to see their ways more appealing than ours. The Seelie court and the Unseelie's all want what we used to have. A monarchy without a true form of government or anything civilized."

"And you call this civilized?" I asked him as my eyes roamed the party. Several men were naked now and groping onto other women who gave into their desires right there on the dance floor. Some men were fighting with their friends in the corner as a small circle lingered around them to see the display of manliness. And band was breaking up through the crowd, as they still played their instruments, to dance and have what their viewers were having. All this seemed like a waist of time to me.

"This is a reward." Weston hissed with a euphoric giggle clipped to the end of his words. "Our people are so restrained between the on going war and the other issues at hand that I invited everyone to come a have some fun."

I looked at the crowd and while it was a pretty large crowd, it now seemed so small in comparison to what a size of population for a kingdom must be. "Have you lost followers?" I suddenly asked without thinking and Weston's eyes became serious.

"You'll either join in the party or go to your room." He looked away from me and raised a hand in the air. A guard came over with the gait of a panther.

"Yes?" He asked. His eyes lingered on mine for a moment, his pupils narrowing in on me.

Weston sighed and flicked a strand of hair back with his hand. "Caelia here must decide wether or not she stays or goes to her room. I want you to be here when she makes that decision."

Weston turned his eyes on me and purred deep in his throat, the raspy sound of dark chocolate boiling smoothly behind his broad chest. I noticed he had removed his leather vest sometime during the party and had his rippling abdomen on display. The cords of muscle were so phenomenal that it was honestly brand new to me. I'd seen boys in the village before that would show off their biceps and abs before, but none of them compared to Weston's.