10 | Ephemeral

I was standing near the opened window when the door to Weston's bed room swung open and Lucian came storming in.

"Where's my son?" His voice boomed the impertinent question. My eyes looked over my shoulder to see the boisterous man clenching his fist.

"I woke up and he was gone." I explained to Lucian. Luckily for me, the clothes that Weston had mentioned the night before had arrived before sun up and I was able to dress.

Lucian looked me up and down at my attire. The soft mid calf length dress had a drop waist that flattered my hips in an odd way. The crème color complimented my skin. "And, he didn't leave a note as to where he might be?" Lucian's eyes squinted.

I shook my head before shrugging. "I woke up and this dress was waiting for me." I told him honestly.

Lucian leaned back where he stood. "So Weston got you here safe then?" His breath was rushed and sounded a little worried for the well being of his son.

I nodded my head and a pair of foot steps fell in the hallway. Both Lucian and I turned towards the door to face an unprepared Weston walking into the room.

"Father." He put simply. It was not a question nor a statement.

Lucian took three quick steps towards his son and grabbed his face in his hands. From the angle at which they stood, I could see the loving bond between both males. Father and son.

I wonder if that would have been me and my father. I thought solemnly. My heart pivoted and I felt a feeling of something so foreign pass over me. I was sad... Watching the fatherly embrace a king could give to his son, I felt as if I was witnessing a part of my own life and was watching what could have been mine through another.

Tears threatened my eyes and I looked away from the display of love.

Foot tapping on the floor, I bounced once on my toes before slipping passed the two of them and disappearing down the halls.

_____________

The mid afternoon sun felt almost like a burden to me as I made my way outside from the castle.

My hand was raised to my brow and I searched the gardens for a bench to sit on. One in the shade would be preferred, however. I thought as my eyes squinted.

Everything in this land seemed so rich. It's colors more defined and the feeling in the air like a tickle of something wishful.

I chewed on my bottom lip before dropping my hand and looking over to my right. The curve of the path dipped down to the left and into a maze of roses and lilacs. Deciding to take my chance with there being something in the roses, I made my way over.

The smell of roses was never my favorite and lilacs always made me a tad sleepier than even lavender would. Images of my mother stormed through my mind.

Her soft face smiling down at me as if I was ridiculous. "Lilacs don't put you to sleep," her voice sounded out to me, almost too soft of a whisper to let me know it was all a figment of my imagination.

I ducked my head as the bright sun was shielded a little bit as I dipped my way down and into the maze. The suns rays kissed the top of my hair, their breath hissed with the wind as the leaves on the bushes that made the walls of the maze, rustled in aggravated cries.

I hurried through the maze with my eyes glued to my feet. Watching my nude colored flats scorn through the pebbles, making them scatter in my wake. My hands fisted by my side and that ugly feeling from before came rushing back into my chest.