Chapter 9 - Double or Nothing

The lecture hall was enormous. Codi sat, dwarfed by the cavernous space along with the other hundred and fifty Battlecast recruits. The wall she currently faced had a screen twelve metres across built into it. Behind her the whole structure sloped in an arc towards the flat surface, as though they sat inside a quarter of a sphere. Level after level of chairs rose back away from the screen, packed from end to end with eager young fighters.

Codi had found herself a spot between Chris and Leela in the general scramble for seats. Gareth was a few rows forward and she regarded him coldly. His interview hadn't exactly been inspiring. Several of the Battlecast veterans towed the line – when asked about Codi they gave their unequivocal support and backed the academy's decision to sign her. All of them except Gareth.

She didn't know if the others had been told what to say in the interviews, but if they had, Gareth had ignored that advice. While he restrained himself from actively condemning her, the best he'd been able to muster when the reporters approached the topic was that she deserved a chance to compete, just not at the expense of others who had already earned their spots.

It felt like a betrayal. She'd thought they were past this. She didn't need him to like her – that was never the problem – but she deserved his respect. Not only that, but in the bigger picture his actions signalled to the people outside the academy bubble that all was not well at Battlecast.

The massive screen blinked into life suddenly, pulling her thoughts back to the present. She pushed Gareth's foolish actions out of her mind and focused. Despite having competed in the Gauntlet last year, today she would be learned two very new disciplines. Having only ever competed in the single bouts, Codi knew virtually nothing about the team variations in the competition. Although not as massive in the public eye, they were viewed with equal importance by the big academies. They proved versatility, adaptability and confirmed an academy's status.

"Good afternoon," Bronagh Llewellyn thundered from the head of the room, her voice resonating as though coming from all directions. "Today the next leg of your training begins. Individual sparring will continue as normal but your schedules will extend by an hour each day to incorporate these new techniques."

A murmur of surprise swept through the fighters. Codi frowned. Their day was already a gruelling ten hour slog – adding an extra hour didn't seem particularly tactical.

"Did they do it this way last year?" she whispered to Chris from the side of her mouth.

He shook his boulder-like head slowly. "New instructor, new rules, I guess."

"Now I know your old taskmaster did not favour an extension of this sort," Bronagh continued undeterred. "But I believe last year's results were underwhelming for an academy of such stature. You are all capable of much more – of that I am in no doubt."

She said it like a compliment, but the proclamation made Codi uneasy. What was underwhelming about taking both first and third in the single bouts? Surely the other disciplines couldn't have been that far behind?

"You will continue to excel; continue to be exceptional." Bronagh stared pacing, hands clasped behind her back. "Last year we were fortunate enough to have Bruno Varlin in our ranks, an individual whose skill could carry this academy through the strongest challenges. Even then it was a close run thing." She stopped and looked pointedly at Codi.

Squirming under the head instructor's piercing gaze, Codi lowered her eyes. She could feel heads turning towards her; eyes locking on like laser-sights.

"I hope you all take my meaning clearly. There are no guarantees. We will be favourites again – of that there is no doubt. That means we have a duty to not just match, but surpass those expectations. There is no room for complacency. You will not win simply because you are from this academy."