Part 29: I Love You

Matty leaned his body against the doorframe to the classroom, a question lingering on his tongue. Luke was hovering over the table with a hand resting in his hair, his eyes focused on the work in front of him.

Sighing softly, Matty removed himself from the blue moldings to knock lightly on the open door, Luke instantly lifting his head by the sudden noise.

At first his eyebrows furrowed, expecting it to someone else but when he noticed Matty he looked back at his papers with soft eyes. "Hey Matty."

"Hey Luke." Matty replied quietly and held onto his school bag while walking into the classroom. It was pure empty, almost too silent for Matty's liking. He preferred the small sounds of people whispering, the eraser running up and down the paper and Luke's voice filling the whole room.

There was at least 20 minutes until class would start, but for once Matty wanted to meet earlier than usually. He had been walking around with some thoughts that he needed to sort out. Thoughts that were hunting him down along with the sight of you resting in your bed and not getting out. It had been like this for days.

"So I came here to talk about last Friday." He announced. Luke stopped in track, his pencil still hovering over the paper while his eyes froze on one spot in the classroom.

"It's gonna be a long morning then." Luke grumbled with a tired voice, the tempting choice of knocking off every single thing that was on his desk while he stood up from his chair and adjusted his tie.

"You know I'm not here to be Y/N's pigeon and I know there are two sides to how this night ended but I need to be 100% sure. I mean, she hasn't been in school for almost five days, I'm not even sure if she shows up today even though her and Rebecca are supposed to present their project. All I've heard from her is single texts, one worded lines and nothing else but that. Goddammit Luke, she doesn't even want me to visit her, she has never in her life acted like this before!"

Matty's tone rose by each word that left past his lips, his eyebrows furrowing and Luke clenched his jaw.

"Because I screwed up, Matty!" He yelled back and with force hammered the palms of his hands on top of his papers, "I screwed up so badly I left my drunk sad girlfriend at a 21+ club in favor for my ex-girlfriend who was drunkenly falling into bushes, puked all over my carpet at home and couldn't remember a single thing the morning after!"

"Yes I'm here to find a solution to why the hell you did that! The second Y/N told me over a fucking text that you had left her for another girl I was stunned, but not in the good way! I was shocked, sitting with my mouth open for minutes." Matty placed his bag on top of the table he usually sat at before storming towards Luke's desk and leaned in front of it.

"Because I was trying to clear up a mistake that shouldn't have happened in the first place!" Luke rushed towards the door to the classroom, smacked it shut to prevent anyone from eavesdropping what they were discussing. "I know that it all made me seem like a complete idiot towards Y/N, but it wasn't my intention at all!"

"Why the hell did you do it, Luke?" Matty asked desperate, wanting him to speak up already instead of pacing around with profanities leaving his lips.

"Because Meredith witnessed Y/N and I kiss! That's it, my ex-girlfriend who happens to work at the same place as I do, witnessed the one fucking rule that you're not supposed to break as a teacher working with teenagers and kids!" Luke was breathing heavily while speaking and Matty's eyes widened in shock by his sudden statement.

"She could spill the beans every second, she could use it against me or even worse she could tell the principal, the academy and I would lose everything I've worked so hard for, for three years now Matty! And it's the reason why I took her home! Not because I wanted to hurt Y/N, no because I wanted to break the loyalty between us and definitely not to cheat on her! I did it to remind Meredith every third minute after we came home that it wasn't Y/N she saw, but the mystery girl I've been dating for the past months. I did it to make sure that when she woke up in the morning she wouldn't remember a single thing and I could continue my life without having to fear that she would spoil anything! I even made her sleep on my fucking couch!"