Chapter 3

The awesome drawing of Hailey you can see at the top (on the app) or on the side (on the website) is by the talented VvianCordeiro, to whom the chapter is dedicated!

Chapter 3

After my little freak out moment, I spent a whole hour looking at my wings. I was fascinated by them. They looked similar to bird wings, with thin, soft feathers. They were a snowy white with a light sparkling emerald undertone. The color matched my eyes, which I thought was pretty cool. Well, to be honest having wings period was cool. I soon discovered I could move them around, and when I angled them to reflect the light, the green shimmered beautifully.

I had some trouble wrapping my head around the fact that I actually had wings, but I had finally come to term with it. I did not know what they meant, though. Was I not human? But then, what was I? And if winged-people really existed, then why hadn't normal people already found out about them?

At 7:25 pm, I heard my dad come home. I put on a large shirt to make sure that no bump showed through. My wings were not that big right now, with the tips lower than my shoulders, so they were not too hard to hide.

I wondered if they would grow much bigger, though. If they grew to be as big as the strange boy's, it would be kind of hard to hide their existence.

Before going down stairs, I grabbed my phone on my dresser. I was surprised to see I had 15 text messages and 3 missed calls from Ali. Crap, she was probably freaking out right now.

I immediately called her back.

"Hailey! Oh my God, are you okay? I have been trying to call you, and you didn't answer! You weren't at school either, and I..."

"Allison!" I interrupted her. "Please calm down. I promise I'm alright. I started feeling bad so I came back home. I fell asleep, and I didn't hear my phone. That's all."

"Oh thank God that's it! I was afraid you had been kidnapped or something." She answered, her relief evident. "Are you feeling alright?"

I laughed lightly. "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine now. I guess I had an energy rush this morning, and I just kind of crashed."

"Yeah, that makes sense. So you're fine?"

"Ali, how many times do I have to tell you? I'm completely fine. Don't worry about me. Hey, sorry, I got to go my dad came home like fifteen minutes ago, and he's going to wonder what I'm doing."

"Alright, Bye then! Love ya!"

"Love you, too! Bye!"

I hung up. I felt horrible for lying to her. We told each other everything; there was no lying between us. Lying doesn't make people trust you, and Ali and I trusted each other fully. I told myself that there was no way I could have just said "Hi Ali! Yeah, well actually I saw an angel at school today, and then I came home, and guess what? I have wings now! Cool right?" but I still did not feel much better.

I put a smile on my face and went down stairs. I found my dad in his office, going through some paper work.

"Hey, Daddy!" I said, coming up to hug him.

"Hey, sweetheart. How was your day?" he answered, hugging me back. I suddenly remembered my wings and maneuvered my way out of the hug, so my dad would not accidentally touch them.

"It was good. Kind of tiring, though. If you don't mind, I'll just heat up some pizza and then go up to my room. I have some homework to finish, then I'll get some sleep."

"Sure, honey." Daddy smiled at me.

"Alright, goodnight, then. Oh, and I made some cookies. Don't eat all of them, though!"