Chapter 74- Opposing Orders

I looked into the yard of walkers, there were too many to take. "This is hopeless!" I shouted at Rick.

Glenn cut a hole in the fence and we quickly pilled inside. Rick ignored me and started to run towards the prison gates. I groaned and quickly followed after the group. We got to the gate and we threw our stuff on the ground.

"Listen, we can do this! If we can get this done we'll have the yard cleared before tomorrow." Rick said encouragingly.

"All we need to do is get to that gate and shut it, to close off the entryway to the rest of the Prison yard." Rick said.

"I'm going." I announced to the group, I pulled my bow off my back and strung an arrow.

"No way, I'm going." Glenn announced.

Rick stepped forward. "I am going and that's final." He announced.

"Rick I'm faster than you. Let me do this." I begged.

Rick shook his head and started to bark orders at the group. "Mariah go with Beth and kill them through the fence." Rick commanded. I groaned and started to walk over to her but an idea popped into my mind.

Lori was preparing to open the gate and as soon as she moved I was going to grab the lock from Rick's hands and make it to that guard tower. Lori started to move and I set my plan into action. I grabbed the lock from Ricks hands and darted out into the yard.

I ran at full speed to the gate, my group screaming my name and shooting at any walkers that got too close.

One of Daryl's arrows flung by my head and it the walker standing in my way. I smiled and pushed on towards the gate, I was so close only a little bit away.

A bullet flew in front of me and almost hit my foot. I looked up and scowled at the shooter. "SORRY!" Carol shouted out from the tower.

I shrugged her off and ran to the gate. I prepared the lock as I ran and finally reached it. A walker tried to attack me as I started to slide the gate shut and I knew I didn't have time too fool around. I kicked the walker away and quickly shut the gate. I turned around and quickly surveyed the situation.

Walkers were surrounding me and my only exit. I ran to the guard tower, my lungs and legs burning from the running.

I quickly opened it up and shut the door. Banging sounds came from outside, I tried to steady my breathing but several walkers that were on the inside stumbled towards me.

I pulled my knife, not having enough time to load my bow. I stabbed one in the head and another one pulled on my arm.

I spun and stabbed it, the knife plunging into it's skull. I turned and tried to yank it out, it was stuck.

The last walker moved towards me, its hands out and ready to catch its meal. I breathed slowly and started to pull on the knife, harder and harder.

I struggled for a moment as I tried to pull the knife out. I gave up and pulled an arrow from my back. Hopefully this would do the trick. I ran forward and plunged it into the walkers eye.

Its blood squirted onto my face and It stuttered for a moment then went still as it fell to the ground.

I breathed heavily as I stormed over to the knife, still stuck in the walkers head.

I put my foot on the walkers head and pressed down, I grunted and pulled the knife from the skull.

After a second of hesitation, it came out. I smiled triumphantly and raced to the top of the stairs. I stepped outside into the fresh air and smiled as the group continued to kill off the walkers.

I took my bow off my back and started to shoot away at the walkers. I smiled and laughed, as if I was playing a video game where you had to clear the yard of walkers.

Rick stood from the guard tower opposite of me and I could tell from here that he was pissed off.

In fact, Tayler, Jason, Rick and especially Daryl would probably all give me shit for doing the right thing.

Well the right thing in my eyes. I would never be able to live with myself if Rick got hurt running into that yard.

Rick's sniper rifle rang out and the last walker in the field fell to his knees. Looks like it was time to be yelled at.