1. Nemesis

Author's Note—
Hello everyone! I have taken down the remaining chapters and will be replacing new ones. Also, I've changed my style of writing so I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it! <3

******

"Megan Rose, you make me the happiest man on earth. Will you marry me?"

The man dropped to his knee and held out a small, velvety box. Today was supposed to be the happiest day of her life. She was made for this day, heralding her happily-ever-after. Yet, right now her seething resentment inside her had nearly reached a boiling point.

How could he do this to me? Megan thought bitterly as she stared down at the man, her face darkened.

James was still on his knee and Megan stood there silently as the crowd around them started cheering.

"Marry him! Marry him!"

They were in a posh restaurant, one of James' favourite. Megan stole a few glances at one of the women in the crowd in her peripheral vision, the only one who was clearly not happy with the proposal. Blair, her younger sister had been shaking with anger with her fists clenched tightly on either sides. If she had not known, she would have thought her sister was reluctant to see her getting married.

Earlier that day, Megan had heard James' little admission to one of his friends when they were at the bar ordering drinks for the ladies. She had stood behind the pillar, listening to every little details he shared with his friend.

"She was amazing in bed you know. Stir up the beast inside me!" He laughed and said to his friend.

"Man, you're for sure going to hell. Marrying her but fucking her sister?" His friend had cursed.

It took everything within her not to storm out there and punch the hell out of him.

"I'm sorry James." She shook her head. "I can't do this." She muttered softly under her breath so only James could hear her. She did not want to embarrass him even though there was no feelings left for him ever since his admission. James had been one of her father's acquaintances. The last thing she wanted to do was provoking him.

"What? Why not?" James stood up and gripped her shoulders tightly.

She whimpered and tried to shove his hands away but it only made his grip tighter. "You have to marry me!" He exclaimed and this time, the crowd started murmuring with one another.

She delivered a sharp slap to his face, leaving him stunned. "I will never marry a cheater!"

"I know you made a deal with my father. But you never loved me. My father had two daughters so maybe you'd like to consider the other option now." Megan said through gritted teeth and shot a glare at Blair, letting him know she knew about him and Blair. His eyes grew wider as he turned to look at Blair.

"Megan-"

"Save it!" Megan snickered and leaned into him, her lips just beside his ear. She whispered into his ear. "The last thing I wanna hear is you telling me how amazing she was in bed."

With that, she flipped her hair and walked out of the restaurant elegantly. Her mind though, was unrelenting. She was sure her father would not be happy to hear about it. After all, her parents were excited to get her married off to James for their own benefits.