Chapter 13: Winter Attends

IGNORE ALL ERRORS (There are probably tons)

Chapter 13: Winter Attends 

A fairy God mother can do so much. Give a girl some makeup and a dress, and she'll feel like a million bucks for a night. But a millions bucks doesn't feel like much, especially when you're a teen billionaire. 

- Winter Ozlin's Diary 

The dress felt odd on my thighs. Jace had told me not to wear tights. It was a dance, not a funeral, which he regretted saying right afterwards since it was only a year and a day since my parents has ceased from existence. After an hour of moaning and groaning with him, I agreed and picked out a gold and black dress. Marie had sent me a handful of dresses in case I had any special events that needed attending. The halter was a gold tint with a touch of sparkles and at my belly button the dress turned black and flew down my legs, stopping at my thighs. Some pieces went further than that, but most of the material stopped midway. In the past, it would have made me feel like a million bucks, but nowadays I was trying to feel less and less like that.

For the day, school was cancelled in order to allow everyone to prepare for the dance. It was one of the rare happy celebrations at Brinston. The Rafter only amused people for an hour or so, but this dance left a lasting effect on everyone.

My makeup was the usual, with my plumped red lips and winged eyes, placing a bit of bronzer on my cheeks. My legs shook as I stepped into three inch wedges that had a red ribbon as a strap. To tell the truth, I was terrified about going to Homecoming. The football game was Saturday, so the dance was a celebration to welcome the first game of the season. Everyone went to the homecoming celebrations. Last year, I had been home by the time Homecoming had come around. It was the beginning of the week when I was planning my annual after party and then the funeral of my parents the next day. That week snapped me into reality.

A knock on the door made me jump and stand tall in my shoes.

"Come in," I said softy, and until Jace walked in, I wasn't sure if he had heard me.

Jace's lips curled into a small smile, but it was visible to me, which made me blush. Jace always looked at me with wonder in his eyes and a question on his mind. It was the curiosity that made me look up to him as a child.

"You've always been so beautiful, Winter," he whispered at me. His eyes stayed locked on mine, and I blinked and looked away as a thank-you. I scooped up my tiny black clutch that happened to have belonged to my mom. Inside were the necessities: phone, lipstick, tampons, and a new razor that I convinced myself was incase an extra hair popped up on my legs or armpits. When I turned back to Jace, who was wearing a simple slim grey suit and a red tie, he quickly scattered his eyes away from me. He coughed. "Ready?" He adjusted his back and stood tall. Even in heels, he towered a good few inches over me. He replaced his flat look with a smirk and a dazzling eye.

"I hate that you asked me to this thing," I mumbled and pushed him toward the door. He laughed and flung it open. "I'm only going for you, because frankly all I think about when I think Homecoming are stereotypes that consume everyone," I snorted and followed him through the door.

"You were homecoming queen last year," Jace pointed out as we turned down the hall and we became side to side.

"What?" I asked and stopped in my tracks, because this was new news to me.

Jace kept walking but stopped when he noticed I wasn't next to him. His neck craned over his shoulder. The blue eyes in him blinked. His forehead crinkled. "Nobody told you?"