The Fitting

'Of course you'll need a completely new wardrobe. Four of everything. Ball gowns, court gowns, day dresses, make it seven of those, Sarah. Then you'll also need riding habits, dinner dresses, a walking suit and a couple of nightgowns.' Lady Bruce sat upright in my new bedroom, noting down the items on a piece of paper. 'That'll do for now, though of course, we'll need bonnets, jackets, cloaks, shoes and reticules. How is it Mr Authurs?'
     The ancient dressmaker had a crooked back so extreme he looked in a permanent bow. He frowned and tightened the long piece of string closer around me, 'she's a strange shape for sure my Lady. Much more muscular than most women of society.'
     I glanced at Lady Bruce. She pursed her lips and went back to her notepad. 'Yes well, Miss Wentworth is a great horsewoman.'
     Lady Sarah Lynton gave me a small smile as she held out another piece of string for the man.         He took it and knotted it at the length of my leg.
     'So you have any specific colours or styles in mind, Miss Wentworth?' He looked up from his bent position.
     'I like darker colours, blues and reds. And simple styles, not too much decoration.'
     'I'm sure Miss Wentworth will be delighted with whatever you create Mr Arthurs,' Lady Bruce cut in, sending me a stern look. 'She respects your incredible taste and experience in these matters.'
     He chuckled, bowing a few inches more, 'I am honoured Lady Bruce. However, I am inclined to agree with Miss Wentworth on this one.' He indicated my cheek, 'this tanned skin is unusual at the moment and coupled with your strong features and hair Miss Wentworth, well, you look exotic. And in exotic cases, I strive for simplicity, to let the natural shine through. You must never guild the lily, Lady Bruce.'
     Lady Bruce thinned her lips.
     I felt a light touch on my arm and turned to see Lady Lynton holding my shawl out to me, 'I thought you might be cold.'
     'Thank you.' I smiled at her. Strangely, it had only been Lady Lynton who had not stared at me like an animal in a circus, despite the looks from the other ladies around her. Only she had smiled and curtseyed without the slightest bit of irony. I didn't know what it was, or why, but she hadn't judged me as the others had.
     Mr Authurs straightened as far as he could and left with Lady Bruce, talking over patterns and prices. I was left to struggle into the borrowed gown of one of the other ladies, a young countess who had sneered at me when Lady Bruce asked to borrow one. I would have felt more comfortable in one of my own dresses, but Lady Bruce had taken one look at the dark brown dress I had laid for dinner and tutted, whisking it away 'to line the pig trough as it deserves.' The Countess of Exeter was only visiting but she had been closest to my height and so had been bullied into lending me a dress for dinner. It was beautiful, there was no doubt about it, dark green silk with bronze ribbon lining the low neckline and an elegant sweeping cut. Coupled with a pair of long pale gold gloves of Lady Bruce's I felt more regal than I had since living at Napolean's court on a previous mission.
     The dress, however, had decided not to cooperate. The buttons on the bust strained and the seams were cut just a tad wrong for me and the ties had become a tangled mess.
     'Do you need some help?' Lady Lynton came forward and turned me around to face the mirror, her thin fingers easily picking at the ball of material at my back.
     'Thank you, I am not used to dresses that require so much effort to get into.' I blushed at my own stupidity. A few months ago, I had come across a group of ten state assassins bound to kill the Duke of Milan and had killed them all with enough time for a bath before the state dinner an hour later. But now I was defeated by a dress.
     'Unruly things, dinner gowns. You have to coddle them,' she said, fiddling and pulling at the strings. 'Love them, treat them like a paramour you wish was your husband.' She caught my eye in the mirror and grinned, a glint in her eye. 'Then they will preen and prove you to be the most beautiful woman in the room.' Taking a step back, she laced her fingers together, 'there. All done.'
     I felt behind me and laughed; the strings were tied neatly and tucked into my bodice. My reflection looked neater and more confident, the dress hugging my breasts and shoulders before wafting away over my hips. It was beautiful. 'Thank you, my lady, you've been very kind.'
     'Oh honestly, you must call me Sarah. It's quite enough having everyone else here call me Lady Lynton, I would like to be your friend.' She took my hands and smiled brightly. She really was a beautiful creature, with large blue eyes and a clear beaming smile. 'You strike me as different from the rest of the people here, aside from your profession that is. You look genuine and reliable and I like that in a person. Moreover, it's rare to get anything like it here.'
     'Very well, Sarah. But you must call me Katherine. Or Kate, depending on the occasion.' We laughed together. 'And Lord am I glad you're here, I'm slightly at a disadvantage to everyone else and I'll admit I have no idea what I'm doing.'
     'That's quite alright, Kate.' Sarah linked her arm through mine and we started walking towards the dining room. 'I'll help you, I promise. And as for knowing what to do here? I'll tell you a secret: no one else does either.'