African Characters - @AmandaTayteTait

Hey guys. So I am Black from Africa born and raised. To be specific from Zimbabwe if you watch news a lot :P

Now for serious stuff

Accent and Language

The one thing that makes me super angry is how even in movies all Africans are portrayed to speak sort of broken English and have one accent. For one there is tons of different languages in Africa. My country has 4 official languages. South Africa has 11 and each different person has a different accent believe me. I have some Afrikaans friends who I just stare at some times because I cant hear a word they say (They talk so fast). Also English is taught in schools and almost everyone can speak it fluently. I speak better English than any other language really. I say almost because yes there are still a lot of under developed places but can this not be the main thing you imagine when you think of Africa. Hello we have Internet and TV so not everyone is sitting around on a fire sharing a meal.

We Are Not Poor

I realize this was highlighted by someone else so I won't say much except highlight it. People have jobs and wear suits and go to actual work. We have cities and skyscrapers and you won't imagine the amount of money Tourism generates. This is a place with the world's largest gold and diamond reserves. Again I will not negate the bad poverty does exist but seriously I probably eat more than you do on a daily basis because we also have Mac Donald's and KFC and all that other fattening crap we call food.

Culture

I don't think I can shout this loud enough. Africa is so much bigger than just Ethiopia and Nigeria. We all don't wear African Attires because it's not a part of all our cultures. 60% of the population is raised Christian because it is literally part of our constitution. Now in some cultures it is customary for a female to kneel to the husband in others the male has to pay 'lobola' before he is given a bride. Some cultures have sacred animals that are not eaten others are vegetarians. Others go to a 'sangoma' which is a sort if guiding spirit while others pray to their ancestors for guidance. Others seek God and others still have a whole range of beliefs. Some ranging from Paganism to witch craft with even a large Islam following. Not far from where I live there is a Jewish community that comes from a pure Jewish race. Africa is a very diverse please do your research and do not generalize in any way. Know specifically what race and tribe you are talking about. Race because not all Africans are black either. Durban has the second largest population of Indians outside of India. Like it's literally a second mini Country with its own beliefs and cultures too. You have places largely populated by mixed races even white people and I add this because reverse racism is a thing too which many people tend to be guilty of. With this I will join my fourth point ALL AFRICANS DO NOT LOOK THE SAME. If you did biology please refer to your biology book and study DNA.

Africa is not a country

Ever hear someone refer to African food or African art or even the African language? Such individuals have no idea that Africa's the second largest continent in the world. Africa is divided into dozens of countries, and these are not just lines on a map: there is important difference's between most of them. Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal and Sierra Leone, for example, are each different places with history worth learning and understanding.

That's all I can think of for now but if anyone has any question's please PM me don't start with you live in Africa that must be so cool to see so many animals because surprise surprise I don't live in a Zoo :P