Checkmate

Closing the door quietly behind you, your eyes began to scan and document your new surroundings. You were in a surprisingly clean room that must be considered Negan's version of a living room. There was a sleek black leather couch pressed up against the wall to your left with a tall bookcase beside it. The bookcase was full of random trinkets and books, which normally would've caught your attention since you loved to read. However, you were too anxious to let your gaze fall on any one item for too long and so you continued to peruse the room.

Looking to the right you saw random end tables that held stacks of papers and more books. There was also a doorway leading to another room. The door was almost the entire way shut, but through the existing crack you swore you saw what looked like the end of a large bed. Trying not to panic at the thought that beyond that door was most likely Negan's bedroom, you jerked your gaze back to your more immediate surroundings. Straight in front of you was a large desk made of some shiny wood so dark it looked almost black. The desk also had stacks of books and papers spread on top of it. If you didn't know any better, you'd swear Negan was a fellow bibliophile. Interesting.

It was only after you had fully taken in all of the inanimate objects that you finally let your gaze trail over to the man who owned not only the items in this room, but what felt like every item and person in the entire compound. It was almost as if you had subconsciously known where he was this entire time, but your brain hadn't wanted to fully acknowledge him yet and so had stalled by staring at everything else in the room first. At this rate you were going to master the art of stalling in no time at all. Too bad that wasn't a skill you could put on your resume.

Negan stood on the other side of the room, his broad back facing you as he stared silently out a large window that must overlook the main grounds of the compound. He hadn't said a word or so much as moved since you entered the room, and his silence caused you to also stay frozen where you were right inside the doorway. Was he waiting for you to say something? Announce yourself? Stand in the doorway until your legs gave out from nervousness? You thought about walking over and sitting down on the couch, but that would give him the upper hand, literally, and you wanted to stay on an even playing field with him. Well, as even a playing field as was possible with your considerable height and size difference.

You were standing there for what felt like an eternity, your mind so immersed with the dilemma of what your next move should be that you jumped about a foot into the air when you heard him clear his throat. You watched warily as he finally turned from the window and fixed his gaze on you. His eyes drank in your appearance, from your slicked back bun and grey t-shirt down to your faded jeans and worn sneakers. It wasn't as if the apocalypse made it easy to be fashionable, but you still felt a little lacking in comparison to his immaculate outfit. How did he even find a leather jacket that fit so well? And only he could pair it with a red scarf and have it look masculine rather than ridiculous. Hell he was even wearing a pair of black leather gloves to complete his "I'm a total badass" image. You felt slightly relieved when you realized that Lucille was not currently part of his ensemble, but chances were she was lying around here somewhere.

"Well hello, doll. The fuck brings you here?"

You jolted at his gruff words as if you'd been shot then quickly glanced from side to side, almost expecting to see that some other "doll" had entered the room. Nope, you were alone. But why would he ask....what if Dwight had...oh you were going to KILL Dwight if he had brought you here under false pretenses.

"Uh...I thought you wanted me here. But if not, that's fine. I'll just be leaving then. Adios."

You started for the door, ready to bolt and go find Dwight so you could give him a slow and painful death, when Negan's chuckle caused you to turn back and face him.