Chapter 75- Change

I climbed down the flight of stairs and burst through the door to get outside. I looked at our very happy looking group. Carol was first one in, her arms spread apart feeling the cool breeze and spinning around as if looking at our new home.

"We haven't had this much space since we left the farm!" Carol yelled happily. T-Dog let out a whoop and a smile swept across my face.

Rick's angry stare quickly wiped the smile off, and I looked at Daryl. His emotionless face stared at me, his eyes as cold as ice.

I walked towards Rick and put my bow over my head. "Rick-" I started to say but he cut me off.

"Don't 'Rick' me, how am I suppose to trust you if you're going to go against my orders like that?" He yelled.

I looked at the ground and kicked the dirt. "I just couldn't stand here, what if you died in there? You can't risk yourself like that." I yelled back. I looked back up at Rick's face and his expression was surprised from my concern. "Rick, we can't loose you." I said quietly.

He frowned and his eyes flickered to the group, now taking in the site of our new home. "I can't let you do that, I can't let this group take risks and I just stand back and watch." He said cautiously.

"Then don't sit back, help us but don't put yourself at so much risk." I ordered.

He looked at me sadly, as if I hit a nerve. "Stop making stupid decisions Mariah, the last thing we need is for you to get yourself killed." Rick finished.

My jaw fell open and he walked away towards Lori and Carl. Did Rick really just say that to me? I felt my eyes burning from Rick's words, he thinks my decisions are stupid? Maybe he didn't need me anymore, maybe this group didn't need me. I guess I could just leave, would anyone notice?

I repeated Rick's words in my head all night, Daryl hadn't talked to me at all. His cold stare made me shiver when I looked at him.

I was squished between Tayler and Jason, as we sat around the fireplace. Daryl was off on guard, and Carol just left to give him some food.

I stared at him, standing on a tipped over car with his poncho keeping him warm.

I zipped my leather jacket up and stared at his figure. Carol jumped up onto the car and handed him a plate.

They talked for a moment and Daryl set his plate down. He started to rub Carol's shoulders and I grit my teeth.

Even after she knew Daryl and I were together she went after him. My blood boiled and I stood up. I stormed over to Daryl and climbed onto the car. "Carol can I talk to Daryl alone please?" I snapped, loosing my temper.

Carol frowned and quickly got off of the car. I waited until she was far enough away for me to start yelling. "What the hell was that?" I asked angrily.

"Massage, ain't ya ever had one?" He asked plainly.

"Daryl! It's not funny!" I growled.

"What? What do you want?" He asked, irritated by my tone.

"What, do you want to go with Carol now?" I asked sarcastically.

Daryl blinked at me then his face filled with hurt. "Maybe I do, I dunno how much more I can take of ya. Like today, you ran in there even though ya knew what could happen." He yelled.

My eyes burned as I took in Daryl's words. "So you'd rather be with her?" I asked quietly.

"No I-" Daryl stammered. I cut him off

"You what? You want me to change? You want me to put myself before others? Stop making stupid decisions?" I asked, quoting Rick.

I wiping tears from my eyes. "Mariah-" He started to say.

"Save it Daryl, now I know how you really feel. I hope you and Carol live happily ever after." I whispered.

I turned and jumped down off of the car, my heart broke in half as he didn't even call my name. I couldn't let myself cry right now, not in this group. I reached the group and I knew I couldn't face them.

"I'm going on small walk, just to clear my head. I'll be back soon." I said quietly.

I sprinted towards the gates before anyone could say anything. I went out the way we had cut ourselves in and shut it behind me.

I pulled my bow and started my walk. I cried, for how long I don't know. I just needed Tayler, I needed her to comfort me and tell me everything was okay.

The only problem, I wasn't sure if I would go back.