Chapter 7-Watching & Learning

Please make sure you read the author's note at the end.
****

"Who is the suspect?"  Stefan questioned with a arched eyebrow and continued to read the open file in his hands as he stood in the St. James study. 

Stefan scanned over the contents and flipped to the message. 

IT'S BEEN FAR TOO LONG.   SUCH A BEAUTIFUL LITTLE ONE YOU HAVE.  I PLAN TO GIVE YOU A LESSON YOU WILL NEVER FORGET. 

The cryptic message was typed.  

Stefan frowned and closed the file abruptly, giving Julien St. James his undivided attention.  The man was still in prime shape for a man in his mid-fifties. Hair the color of the dark night was streaked with grays, and his figure was that of a fit thirty year old.  It was obvious he was a man who prided himself on his appearance.

The St. James' were a strong and well respected family, who prided honor and loyalty above all things in life.  His grandfather always viewed them as family, the 'only family' he stated on more than one occasion. Julien was one of his grandad's dearest friends and now one of Stefan's.  He had tremendous amount of respect for him.

The last time their paths crossed was the auction a couple days ago. In recent months they've kept contact, speaking several times on the phone. Julien's loyalty to Stefan senior's legacy was endless.  He constantly checked on Stefan's progress and offered counsel in work related issues.

Now it was Julien who sought his help.

"Nathan Diam.  He was arrested and charged for countless crimes, and one of them was extortion.  He was released six months ago having served a twenty year prison sentence."  Julien answered in a flat tone.   "My wife singled him out by the use of his words in the threatening message.  He called her, 'Little one' during a confrontation over two decades ago.  Things between us were left unfinished so to speak, and we believe he has come back to extract his revenge."

"Zayn and Jasmine–my two eldest are in Europe managing my business empire and my youngest Camelia, is currently attending her last year of college to finish her degree. She is the one I am most worried about. And the only one of my children present at the charity ball that evening."

Little princess Camelia was at the auction?

The news startled him causing his ears to perk.  In his mind's eyes he always pictured the ten year old girl he met.  It was difficult to imagine a full grown woman in her place. Stefan was even more baffled how he missed spotting her there. 

"The letter firmly states who's his target. The others are too far away to reach but nonetheless I have appointed round the clock protection for them. It's my youngest that needs protecting here. That's where I would like to ask you a favor..." Julien watched him curiously.

"You believe that he is after your daughter, Camelia?" He confirms as if not believing it.

Julien nods in affirmation. 

Whenever he thought about her over the years it made his heart squeeze in his chest. Stefan missed her adorable cute little nose, that dark thick hair, the eccentric vibrant eyes that looked up at him with worship.

Internally, Stefan smiled.

He wondered if she grew out of her shyness, and the fear of talking to others. He recalled one of her favorite things in the 'whole wide world' as she put it once was reading. Stefan had to bite his lips too keep the chuckle that wanted to break free from his lips at the image of Camelia wearing pj's, eye glasses, messy hair, while reading a book in her hands.