Colorblind

Kate fell asleep in the first half hour of texas chainsaw, I don't blame her. She crashed onto her bed the moment she saw it and I happily followed her into it.

A few hours have passed since then, I know since I finished 2 movies after tiredness won the battle over Kate.

I continue watching the movie although my mind is somewhere completely different, even after all these hours she is still on my mind and I hate myself for allowing her to be in there.

Just seeing the color blue makes my stomach turn, but no longer in a good way. I close the laptop and decide to go to my own dorm but Kate wakes up and takes my hand from under the covers.

"Where are you going?" she asks with a groggy voice still half asleep.

"To my dorm."

Kate forces herself to sit up straight and pulls me onto the bed.

"Being alone isn't a good idea right now. I know your heart is broken... and I promised to help you," she says rubbing her hand across my back to comfort me and I just let myself enjoy this moment for now.

"Thank you Kate, but it's not like you can fix anything," I mutter lying down in her lap.

"I know that the world looks grey right now and nothing seems good, but I'm here to restore your sight, or at least help you make a new pair of eyes... even if nothing will look quite the same."

Kate's words touch me. I understand her, she knows I will move on, but also that I'll never forget Chloe. It's only logical, how can I ever forget those eyes, that smile and her soft lips?

I will never forget her or force her out of my life, the only thing I can do now is change the way I think of those features. No longer should I think of her smile as charming but as a simple gesture you give any person on the streets, her eyes no longer blue as an ocean where you drown in but a dull blue full of regret. Her lips no longer attractive and magnetic with an energy that makes me want to kiss her.

Everything about her will soon be nothing more than love that used to blind me, soon my eyes will open and she will just be Chloe Price again. A friend and nothing more than that.

"Do you think she loved me?" I ask Kate.

I don't know where that question came from, but it's something that's really bothering me all of a sudden.

"If I answer that, it will only get harder to get over her Max," Kate says, carefully playing with my hair without looking at me.

"I don't know if I want it to end."

"I know you Max, and I know Chloe.
Chloe is a good girl, tough from the outside but softer than ice cream on the inside, and even though Rachel seemed to have thawed her heart, everyone knows you were the one who really touched her core."

Kate runs her hands through her hair and grabs some tissues for me.

I take them and wipe away my tears.

"Can I sound stereotypical?"

I say staring at the ceiling.

"Of course."

"What if Chloe was the one?"

Kate looks at me and takes one of my hands in hers.

"If you think Chloe is the only girl that would want you by her side, you are mistaken. Max trust me, anyone would kill to have a caring and loving girlfriend like you."

"I seriously don't know what I would do without you, Kate. Thank you so much for tonight."

I hug Kate longer than planned but I'm tired and it feels good to be in her arms... what am I doing? I'm barely over Chloe and already throwing myself in Kate's arms. It's not like I like her, not in the gay way, she's a great friend and even if I did, Chloe showed me anything can break even the trust of a lifelong friendship.

My cheeks start heating up and I let go of Kate trying to hide my burning face.

Kate and I share an awkward stare, or I don't know what it is, but I look away.

A knock on the door startles us both.

"Kate, I know you are awake, please, I need your help."

It's Chloe, what is she doing here.
Kate shoots up from her bed and holds her finger to her lips indicating I need to stay silent.

"I'm getting dressed, tell me what's up."
Kate pretends to get dressed and waits for Chloe's response.
We hear her slide down the door to the ground.

"I fucked up, Kate. I hurt Max so so badly. She isn't answering my calls or texts."

I can hear Chloe's voice break as she starts crying.

"I should have never done things with Rachel, I knew she would hurt me... I knew, and now I did the same to Max, I'm so stupid, she has every right to hate me."

Kate looks at me with compassion while holding the door knob and I nod for her to open it.
Chloe tumbles in when Kate opens her door and has her eyes closed as she spreads her arms over Kate's carpet.

"You should tell Max that," Kate mumbles as she checks on Chloe.

"How? She isn't even in her dorm."

Chloe puts her hands on her eyes to wipe away her tears.
Kate walks past Chloe and leaves the room.

"Kate, where are you going?"

Chloe shoots up and sees Kate leave, I just stand there waiting for her to finally notice me.

Chloe was about to follow Kate but I decided to finally open my mouth.

"I'm here, Chloe."

She freezes and slowly turns around, when she finally lays eyes on me she pulls me in her arms. I don't hug her back but I'm not fighting it either.

"I'm sorry, I really am. You trusted me and I let you down, I hurt you so much and you have all the right to be mad but please, please don't leave me! I love you Max, I really do."