Chapter 30

Authors note at end has a bittersweet surprise!

The next morning I got up with a sense of peace blanketed over me. I didn't feel like being a bitch today, but I'm sure a conversation with the four Mafia men would change my stand quite soon. Yes, I still recalled the vague feeling of comfort last night. I also recalled taking painkillers so my judgement wasn't quite at it's best.

I woke up when it was nearly noon. Had it really been a week since I was arguing about O. Henry in Literature?
Yes, it definitely had. But it seemed too surreal to be true.

Over the course of just seven days, I had been kidnapped by the hot boss, escaped, gotten kidnapped again by my childhood friend who was also in the Mafia, escaped, solved a cryptic clue, joined the Mafia on a picnic to Italy, gotten drunk as fuck in a Mafia house, watched the guy I possibly had a crush on kill and had even gotten shot.

Woah.

It was a miracle I had even lasted this long.

I quickly brushed my teeth with the seemingly (and hopefully) new brush I spotted in the bathroom, took a bath carefully, avoiding my injured shoulder. I didn't know what to do with my shoulder that was stiff as hell.

Moving it proved to be a herculean task. Sharp bursts kept shooting up my arm. I decided not to take any risk or damage any tendons and other-er- body stuff. I would have to wait for Adrian. I somehow managed to put on some of Carelia's clothes that I had borrowed (stolen).

While I was putting on the shirt and pants, I notices that I was dressed in a comfortable, loose shirt that was several sizes too big. And belonged to a man. Who wore Adrian's perfume. Did he change me!? And was it possible to go 'aww' and 'I'm going to murder someone' at the same time!? Did he shut his eyes at least? Did that mean he didn't find me attractive at all? Ugh, screw it.

I vaguely recalled music. Music that I think Adrian had played. I doubted that he knew that I was wide awake and listening. But the music had slipped from my grasp like a rainbow on a sunny day.

I walked downstairs. Adrian and his gang were seated at the table while Carelia was sitting at the head. She caught my eye and smiled guiltily. I smiled back even though it felt like the rivers of the underworld were flowing through my shoulder.

"Are you okay?" Adrian asked distractedly.

"Do I look okay!?" I demanded.

"No. But that's because of genetics. It's not your fault."

"Everything else is your fault." I snapped.

"I disagree."

Five pairs of eyes turned to him. "I'm sure your existence was your parents' fault."

"Adrian!" Carelia exclaimed slapping him on the arm. Adrian gave her a mischievous grin. How could Carelia regret him?

"I'd better check up on her shoulder. I'll be right back." Adrian said, placing a hand on Carelia's shoulder.

"Hurting?" He asked.

"Yes."

He looked at my shoulder and then right at me. Irritated.

"Something wrong?" I asked.

"You scratched out the stitches in your sleep. I have to stitch it back up."

"It must be so inconvenient for you. I'm sorry, but kept dreaming of blood and murder and getting shot in the shoulder." I said icily.

This time there was no comeback. Adrian said nothing, he just pursed his lips and led me to his room. Something was troubling him and I didn't like it. His eyes were ringed with dark circles. He'd had enough already with the satellite, the Mafia and Roy.

"Adrian? You could just say sorry, have you heard of manners?" I provoked him. I didn't know what I had said that ruined it. He was laughing with Carelia before I went and opened my mouth.

His room was ten times bigger than mine. It was a freaking house inside a house. Housception. I sat at the edge of his bed as he knelt down and started unwrapping my bandages that were now stained a vivid shade of crimson. He injected my shoulder with the anaesthesia again before stitching it up.

"Hey doctor? In brain surgeries are there anaesthetics for the brain?"

"You don't need them. You won't feel anything because there are no nerve endings but should need arise maybe we'll let the patient have a chat with you. That should numb the brain enough."

I punched him on the shoulder and he grinned devilishly. Yes, there it was. That elusive, stunningly beautiful smile.

I'm pretty sure my own smile was brighter than a fifty megawatt bulb.

"You're a hypocrite." I noted.

He raised an eyebrow, mischief gleaming in his metallic eyes. A subtle smile danced on his lips. Crap, he was really, really attractive.

"Oh really?"

"You accuse me of not thinking when you yourself do stupid shit. And if you tell me you do think the stupid shit through.."

"Tell me one time I've done something without having a calculated plan."

"I have a list. Would you prefer it in chronological order or alphabetical?"

He looked at my shoulder and the smile began to fade.

"Seriously though, that guy had a bad aim. It doesn't hurt one bit." I tried to make light of the situation.

"Its the anaesthesia. Do you realize how close you came to losing your life? If he had a good aim, the bullet would have been a few inches to the right and you would be dead." He said in a voice that was almost a whisper.

"But I'm not."

"I promised to protect you, Chevie. I failed. I made a mistake by not getting us out sooner." He said, looking away from me.

"You're allowed to make mistakes, Adrian."

"But I cannot afford too, especially when there is so much at stake." He gently brushed my hair back. Had I not been looking, I wouldn't have noticed his feathery touch. I got a sense that he wasn't talking about just the satellite.

He sighed and started for the door.

I stopped him.

"Last night, when you played the piano, did you know I was awake?"

He looked back at me.

"Yes."

"Thank you." I whispered, but I'm sure he heard it. I didn't know what to do with that information, but for now, I let it fill my heart.

Antonio walked up to my room once Adrian had left.

"What's your size?"

"Well, hello there, my shoulder is fine, thank you very much and that wasn't an extremely creepy and inappropriate question at all."

Antonio became beet red.

"I...um...sorry."

"6. The leather jacket and pants were one size too big. Why do you ask?"

"Um...well. Isaac figured out where were were to go and we need some jackets and snow boots."

"Where?"

"Nuuk, Greenland. We leave in five hours."

✳✳✳✳