Chapter 23: Star-crossed Lovers

"G, I need to talk to you," I said.

"Of course," he smiled. "Just give me ten minutes, we've got to dismantle all of the equipment and get it back in the van! Are you excited to be back home by the morning?"

"Yep, really excited," I said bluntly. "Gee I really need to talk to you. It's super important."

"Alright, go outside and have a smoke, I'll meet you in five, okay?" he said, smiling at me. I nodded without smiling and snuck outside. I opened my pack of smokes and took one out, but then hesitated and put it pack into the pack. Gerard came outside with a smile on his face a few moments later.

"So what is so super important that you have to tear me away from my job?" he said with a grin, wrapping his arms around my waist and kissing me gently. 

"Uh...Gerard..." I said. I had planned it all out in my head but now I couldn't get the words out. I knew what I needed to say but it felt as if the words were stuck in my mouth.

"What is it Izzy?" he said, looking slightly more concerned but still showing me his teeth with a cute smile. "Are you okay?"

"Gerard...I need to know that you won't leave me, whatever happens," I said with tears forming in my eyes.

"Oh Izz, you know I'm not going to leave you!" he insisted, his grip around my waist tightening. "I've told you- I don't want us to be apart again."

"I'm pregnant," I blurted out. I watched in fear as his facial expression changed from happy to pure shock. His grip around my waist loosened and his hands fell away from me. He stared at me for what seemed like hours. "Look, Gerard..." I continued. "I understand if you want to turn around and run away from me."

He still didn't respond, his eyes fixed on me. He looked down at my stomach and then back up at my eyes.

"Oh Gerard say something please," I begged. 

"Y-y-you're pregnant," he mumbled.

"Yep," I gulped.

"Y-you're pregnant," he said, his eyes widening.

"Yes," I said, getting irritated.

"You're pregnant!" he shouted, a huge smile forming across his face. I looked at him in surprise- he was happy about this?! "Oh my god you're pregnant," he said. He threw his arms back around my waist and lifted me up. 

"Gerard did you hear what I said?!" I replied. "How are we ever going to afford something like this? How are we gonna take care of a baby while you're on tour? How is this going to work?!"

"Izzy don't worry," he said. "As soon as we get back to Jersey, we'll go to my parent's house and tell them. They'll know exactly what to do- they'll help us out I promise."

"Are you sure?" I said, raising my eyebrow. I know for a fact that if I went to my mother right now and told her I was pregnant, she would probably have a seizure...or worse!

"Let's just keep it to ourselves for now," he said, unable to remove the smile from his face. "It's our secret."

****

"Mom, I'm home!" Gerard called as we walked into his parent's house. His hand was holding mine and I could tell his confidence was slightly false as his palms were sweating like crazy. 

"Gee!" Donna called, coming over and giving him a hug. "And you brought your friend Isabel!" 

She grabbed me and pulled me into the hug until all three of us were squashed together, held in by her arms. She eventually dropped the hug when Mikey came through the door, as she ran over to him and almost knocked him over with the force of her hug.

"Mom could you get everyone in the lounge?" Gerard requested. "I have something important to tell you."

"Of course," she beamed. She called Gerard's father and Mikey into the lounge and we all crammed in there together.

"I have some news," Gerard said, holding my hand tighter. His parent's looked excited and proud, whilst Mikey looked nervous and confused. I had a feeling that his parent's thought he was going to give them some good news about the band, like 'We sold 100 records! Yay' or 'We're going on a European tour!' but Mikey clearly knew that this wasn't the case.

"What is it Gee?" Donna asked.

"Well," he said, looking at me and smiling before looking back to his mother. "You remember Izzy? She's my girlfriend, from NYU-"

"Of course I remember!" she replied. "She spent Christmas with us! I'm hardly going to forget your first proper girlfriend am I?"

I giggled slightly to myself when she said this, before remembering why we were there.

"Oh yeah," Gerard said. "Uh...well..."

I could tell that he was now suffering from the same problem I had suffered from when I had tried to tell Gerard that I was pregnant. His words were stuck.

"I'm pregnant," I mumbled, but it was so quiet that nobody heard what I said. 

"What was that, sweet?" Donna asked, smiling at me.

"S-she's pregnant," Gerard said. At this point his hands were so sweaty that I could barely keep hold of them. "We're pregnant."

Donna's smile dropped in about half a second. She stared at me, at Gerard, at her husband and then at Mikey. His father looked horrified. Mikey looked horrified. Donna looked...horrified. Oh God.

"WHAT?!" she shouted, making us both jump. "GERARD ARE YOU AN IDIOT?!"

"N-no!" he shouted. "I mean...it wasn't planned but it's going to be fine!"

"Get that girl out of my house!" she shouted, turning to look at me. In shock I tried to stand up and leave but Gerard held onto my hand tightly.

"No!" he shouted. "You can't kick her out while she's pregnant! This is my responsibility!"

"Get her OUT!" she screamed. I pulled my hand away from Gerard and ran outside as quickly as I could, my whole body shaking in fear. I had never seen anyone so angry at me before.

"Izzy I'm sorry," he said, running outside after me. "I was NOT expecting that."

"Gerard what are we supposed to do?!" I cried. "This is a nightmare!"

"We'll think of something....I'll think of something," he said, but I could tell he had no idea.

"You need to think of something," I sobbed. "You need to help me."