Chapter 16 - Unexpected Surprise

CHAPTER 16

CAT

Over the next month and a half, Cat found herself getting more and more used to having Nick around. The fact that she was automatically turning on the descriptive video service on the TV now, even when Nick was at his own apartment, was proof enough.

He came over on Saturday after Amanda's baby reveal to help her put Luke's new crib together. They spent a whole afternoon just hanging out in Luke's bedroom. Cat sat cross-legged on the floor, reading Nick the instructions while he screwed in the parts, so agile with his hands that Cat decided it wasn't his first time working a screwdriver.

Luke was particularly excited about everything that was going on. More than once he claimed that he was a big boy, eagerly reminding Nick that it was his new bed they were putting together and that he wouldn't need his crib anymore. The little boy even brought out his toy toolbox so that he could help out, and while Cat realized her son was being in the way more than anything, Nick never once got impatient with him.

As March eased into April, it became almost a routine to have Nick over for dinner. On weekends they sometimes even went grocery shopping together, arguing about what they felt like eating that week.

One night in early May, Cat glanced up from the soapy dishwater in the sink and caught sight of her boyfriend and her son playing with building blocks in the living room.

She smiled to herself, feeling so incredibly overwhelmed by the happiness she was feeling as of late. It was becoming so easy to imagine having the man in her future and in her son's future. She loved spending time with him and when he wasn't around she definitely felt his absence. Most important of all, Nick was so really good with Luke. That made all of the difference in the world to her.

"Alright, time for your bath handsome and then bedtime," Cat said as she put down the last plate onto the drying rack.

"I could use a bath," Nick said in a sexy sort of voice that made Cat's whole face turn bright red. Her eyes darted over to Luke, but he was too focused on building up his block tower to care.

Although there'd been some pretty steamy make out sessions over the last month involving some pretty intense under-the-top action, Cat and Nick had yet to actually take things to the next level when it came to their physical relationship. It was getting a little frustrating whenever Nick respectfully pulled away whenever things got just a little too far, especially considering Cat was pretty sure she was ready to sleep with him.

How was she supposed to broach the subject? He wasn't doing it. Was there something wrong with her? Was he not attracted to her enough? He seemed pretty into it whenever they made out on the couch...

These doubts and fears about her attractiveness and self-worth seemed to be becoming more and more frequent the more serious things got. She wasn't used to feeling like this! Sure, she'd never been oozing with self-confidence, but she'd never dated a guy before where sex had even been an issue.

"You goof, I wasn't talking to you," she giggled, running her fingers through his hair as she passed by him to pick up her son. Luke started to whine the second his feet left the floor and a blue block had been coaxed out of his hand. "I was talking to this little guy right here... come on, you ready for bath time?" she cooed.

"And story time?" Luke asked.

"And story time," Cat answered.

"Can Nick do story time?" Luke asked.