Chapter 16: Choice

"Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved." ― William Jennings Bryan

...............

Xandrous' POV

I nodded. I quickly unlocked my door and invited her in. My heart quickens as I took in her scent instinctively as she walks in past me, and I followed her quietly.

I remembered the five empty bottles on the coffee table. I involuntarily quicken my pace to reach the table before she could and as I attempted to reach the bottles, she already saw it. Her eyes stared at the knockdown bottles, without a single word.

"I-" my hand involuntarily rub my nape feeling stupid as I fumbled for words.

"Do you hate me?" instead she asked directly, her eyes stared at me with so many emotions I can't stand. My eyes met hers and pinned it, taking in her beauty, memorizing every emotion swirling in her orbs and trying to read each single emotions like an open book, and each emotion comes down to only one, pain.

I shook my head furiously as I felt every emotion in her words. "No. Never! I never hate you," I said sincerely, my eyes never leaving her face. My voice cracking as I spoke with so mixed emotions swimming in my chest. I felt the lump in my throat. "I'm sorry, I never know. I was stupid," I rambled as I clenched my jaw, guilt nagging me.

"You didn't hate me? After keeping it from you?" she repeated, her eyes looking at me incredulously. I could fathom disbelief in her voice as well as her eyes.

"No. I don't think I have the right to hate you. After all, it's all my fault," I said shaking my head. She was quiet for a moment. "I just want to know, did you abor—"

She steps back, gaping at me for a second before she finally says a word. "NO!" she shrieked, shaking her head profusely. I almost kicked myself after realizing how much it would offend her. I watched in remorseful as she shook her head. "How could you?" her eyes widening in horror, the pain now profound in those honey orbs, and I felt a kick in my gut. I was so impulsive, I should have considered her feelings.

"No. I just want to know. How did it happen? I'm not accusing you or anything, I'm sorry, baby. I'm being insensitive," I quickly responded as I narrowed our gap, but I didn't touch her, fearing that she will run away. She relaxes a bit.

She stared at me, searching for something. Her eyes glistening. "I slipped on the floor then I bleed." Tears obviously welling up around her eyelid. "When I-I"

Her eyes losing its life. The glow was gone, left a spiritless one. My heart clenched tightly, feeling like a vice gripping it and twinge it painfully leaving a gnawing pain. I instantly pulled her into me, holding her protectively. "Sshh..." I hushed, trying to stop her from talking. I know it's hard for her. My palm rubbing her back to soothe her, the least I could do. "I'm sorry, baby." I pressed my lips on her head and lingers there for a while as I close my eyes. I could feel her body shaking as she kept sobbing and it pains me. I was kissing her head like it could help her, holding her like she was going to fade.

...........................

Vicky's POV

I felt the pain seemingly decreasing. His soothing words, his warm body against mine, and his protective arms around me made me feel secured and home.

We were in that position for seemingly a while. My shaking body now relaxes, and his hot breath fanning my earlobes feels a little ticklish. "Xandrous," I called softly.

"Hmm," he hummed, not bothering to move an inch. His arms still wrapped around me possessively all the while kissing the side of my head occasionally.