Home Wrecker

HERMIONE’S POV

         The hallways were dark and deserted. I knew I shouldn’t be out walking at this time, if I got caught Gryffindor was going to lose a lot of points, but I couldn’t sleep. I needed some fresh air. Fortunately no ghosts were in my way, and the head prefects were nowhere to be seen.

         My wand was out and was the only source of light around me; the only sound was the indistinct sound of my shoes against the stone floors.

         I didn’t know what exactly had made me go this way, but suddenly I found myself at the top of the stairwell leading down to the Slytherin corridors. I was debating whether or not to continue, when I heard another pair of footsteps coming up the stairs, I panicked and ran to the nearest broom cupboard to hide. I left a crack in the door open so I could look out, I didn’t know if I should be surprised to see Malfoy walking around at this hour or not. He probably broke the rules all the time, so it wasn’t that big a surprise after all.

         I did wonder what he was doing up though, when he’d left the hallway, I got out of the broom closet and followed, interested in seeing what he was up to. I hadn’t spoken to the boy since our second year, and that was like a year and a half ago.

It wasn’t like I wanted to talk to him, especially not after he had been such a jerk to Harry ever since his name was picked in the Tri-Wizard Tournament, betting on his life and everything. But that didn’t mean I wasn’t still curious about him.

         I followed him outside to the lake, he never looked back, so I wasn’t sure if he knew he was being followed or not.

         “Would you just leave me alone?” He finally called out, making me stop dead. “I really don’t want to deal with you right now, Pan…” he trailed off when he turned around and saw it was me. “Granger! What are you doing out of bed at this hour? Don’t you know it’s against the rules?” he mocked.

         “Why did you think I was Pansy?” I ignored his mockery. He sat down on the ground facing the lake.

         “Why do you care?”

         “I don’t.” I sighed as I sat down next to him, leaving some space between us. Neither of us spoke for a while, we just sat in a, surprisingly, comfortable silence. Finally he broke it.

         “Pansy has been following my every step, I’m getting sick of her.” He muttered, “I’ve been coming out here every night for the past weeks to be alone. I just figured Pansy had finally realized where I went.”

         “I’m surprised it took you so long to get enough of her. She’s been hanging on to you ever since we began third year!”

         “Believe me, I’ve been sick of her for a while. Remember last year when my arm was almost torn off by that bloody chicken? She wouldn’t leave my side for weeks, Madam Pomfrey got so mad when she didn’t leave the Hospital Wing.” I glanced discreetly at him and noticed a smile playing in the corner of his mouth, “Pomfrey is always mad with me, it was nice to see her angry with someone else.” He continued.

         “You know . . .” I began but then hesitated, Malfoy turned to look at me. For the first time in years he actually looked me in the eyes and it wasn’t with a look of hatred or an insult on his lips. He looked curious.

         “What?” he asked.

         “Never mind. It’s nothing,” I sighed, hating myself in that moment for having spoken without thinking. I didn’t want to tell him.