The Best Sort Of Workout

You hated cardio with a burning passion. 

But you loved food and wine far too much to actually diet, so this was the compromise. 

To counteract the pizza and two bottles of wine you and your boyfriend had gotten through the previous night, you were now sweating like a pig in the middle of your apartment to a fast paced work out video. 

Spencer had been called into a work this morning, just for a quick meeting about the latest case he’d gotten back from. He’d groaned when his phone had gone off, his head obviously sore from the night before. 

Being the awesome girlfriend you were, you dragged yourself out of bed fixing him a coffee to go and the best hangover cure you knew: a bacon sandwich. He’d come out of the shower and given you a big soppy kiss when he’d seen what you’d prepared, calling you the best girlfriend ever. Well duh…. 

After he’d left you grabbed a quick shower yourself before running to the store and picking up some items you needed. After a quick tidy up, you were bored so decided that it was time to bite the bullet and get on with your exercise routine. Spencer wasn’t due back for another hour or so anyway. 

You’d changed into a purple sports bra and some cropped sports leggings, pulling your hair into a messy bun on top of your head and starting the video. 

You’d just finished the forty minute long dance work out and were starting on the stretches and the cool down part when you heard the key turning in the apartment door. Spencer must be home early. 

“Hey baby,” you called out, mirroring the image of the instructor, arms reaching high above your head. 

“Erm….What are you doing?” Spencer had seen you working out before, but you normally stuck to the treadmill and light weights that were kept in the spare room. The dance video was new. 

“New dvd I bought. It should be over in ten minutes or so.” You breathed out between stretches. 

“Okay. Do you want anything from the kitchen?”

“Water. Lots of ice please.”

You heard him rummaging in the freezer, and then the soft plunk of a glass being set down on one of the tables next to the couch. 

Spencer settled himself down on the couch, kicking his shoes off. 

“So what did they want you for at work?” You stood with your legs spread, leaning down over each leg in turn touching your ankles and feeling the muscles in your calves pulling. 

Spencer didn’t respond. 

“Spencer?” You glanced around seeing him staring at you, his jaw slack and his eyes glazed. 

“Huh?…. What?” He realised you were looking at him. 

You giggled. “What did they want you for at work.”

The dvd was now instructing you into the downward facing dog yoga pose. 

“Just some paperwork relating to………” Spencer trailed off, as you let out a groan feeling the muscles in your back stretching as you followed the instructor. 

“Are you okay?” You could see him from the position you were in, although he was upside down. He was fidgeting uncomfortably on the couch, a flush on his cheeks. 

“I’m…. I’m erm, gonna go to the bedroom until you’ve finished.“ 

You pulled yourself up from the pose slowly, reaching for the glass of water he’d bought you when you were upright again. "Why?” You bought the glass to your lips taking a long sip, feeling the condensation from the ice cold water dribble down your chin and neck, disappearing into the sports bra.