Chapter 33:"Tell me your story"

Carter's POV

Lehlani let us come into the house, and she led us to the living room. Nat and I sat down on her sofa, as I searched for words to say. This is going to be the most difficult thing I've ever done.

 This is going to be the most difficult thing I've  ever done

"What happened to my husband?"Lehlani asked worriedly. She sat in the chair across from us, and her hands were shaking. I stood up from my spot on the couch, and knelt down in front of her.

"L-Lehlani," I choked, and grabbed her hands,"Manny...he's..." I trailed off, and closed my eyes. When I opened them, Lehlani had tears in her eyes and she was shaking her head.

"No," she whispered. Even though she knew how the sentence ended, she still needed to hear it.

"Lehlani,"I paused, to compose my emotions,"Manny's dead." Lehlani shook her head, and tears poured from her eyes.

"He can't be dead," she cried, and put her head in her hands.

"I-I'm sorry,"I sniffled, and tried to pull her into a hug. She rejected it, and stood up. She stood there for a few moments, then walked over to the window. She was looked outside for a while, before saying anything.

"Was he at peace when he died?"she croaked, and kept her gaze outside. I walked over to the window, and saw what she had been looking at. Her kids. All 5 of them.

"I wasn't with him when he died,"I admitted

"I wasn't with him when he died,"I admitted. Lehlani looked at me, then back to her children.

"What am I suppose to tell them?" she cried. I looked down at my feet, then back up to her kids.

"Do they know about his life?"I questioned, and Lehlani shook her head yes. "Do you want me to tell them?"I offered.

"No,"she sighed,"I'll do it...I just..."

"Need some support,"I finished, and looked at her. She looked at me, and nodded. "I'll be right here,"I stated.

"I'll go get them,"She mumbled, and walked off. I turned back to Natalie, and she was looking down at her hands.

"You okay baby?"I wondered, and she looked at me.

"I'm fine," she lied, and looked back down at her hands.