Riding the Terrain

★ ★ ★

★ ★ ★

"Secretary Ross has a congressional Medal of Honor, which is one more than you have," Rhodey said to Sam.

The Avengers were gathered together in the loft of the compound living quarters to discuss the accords. It had become a rather heated debate over the past hour or so; some supported the accords, some didn't support the accords, some were still trying to determine what exactly was going on, and some were just completely sick of dealing with the situation.

Tony and Marlena were among those who were in fact done dealing with the topic regarding the accords. Tony laid on a couch with his hand over his face, shaking his head at his fellow teammates every once in a while. Marlena sat by Steve's legs, her head pressed against the arm of the chair in which he sat on. She wanted to go home now more than anything, but Tony wouldn't let her. She had asked three times, only to receive the same answer each time. 

"Let's say we agree to this thing," Sam said. "How long is it gonna be before they low jack us like a bunch of common criminals?"

"A hundred and seventeen countries wanna sign this—a hundred and seventeen, Sam, and you're just like 'Nah, it's cool.'"

Sam gave him a look. "How long are you gonna play both sides?"

"I have an equation," Vision spoke loudly from  his spot beside Wanda.

"Oh, well this'll clear it up," Sam scoffed.

Vision looked around at the group before speaking. "In the eight years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially. And, during the same period, the number of potentially world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate."

Steve looked up from the accords to look at him. "So, you're saying it's our fault?"

"I'm saying there may be a causality," Vision paused, "Our very strength invites challenge; challenge insights conflict; conflict breeds catastrophe. Oversight. . .oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand."

Marlena let out a sigh and leaned her head against Steve's knee. She had remained silent throughout the entire altercation. She couldn't find the words to say or the strength she would need to say them in the first place. Her mind was running a million miles an hour. She didn't know what to focus on, whether it be how lost she felt without Bucky, her feelings regarding the Lagos incident, or the dangerously annoying topic regarding the accords.

"Tony, you're being uncharacteristically nonhyperverbal," Natasha said.

Tony removed his hand from his face to look at her, though Steve spoke before had the chance.

"It's because he's already made up his mind."

"You know me so well," Tony responded as he sat up in his seat, rubbing his head as he did so. "Actually, I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache."