Chapter 2

Authors Note: For those who already read the second chapter, there is an added part at the end. When it reaches Artemis' perspective, you'll know. You'll also see the text images. :) 

Chapter 2

Everything would have been simpler if I actually died.

It was a destructive thought, but it was one that thrashed inside Miren's brain. Constantly. She thought about it so much that it was beginning to interfere with her studies. Her marks were still nothing short of perfect, but studying—something that usually came naturally to her, something that even eased her—had now become a chore to her disgruntled imagination.

She wrote her new name on her completed homework before sighing at how normal the act was beginning to feel.

It was like she no longer existed.

Her hand instinctively went to her neck. But there was no chain. Then her mind was at it again, trying to consider the ridiculously coincidental odds that her mother's necklace was found in the same building the body was. It was as simple as a homeless person finding the broken band on the bus or on the street. Then that same homeless person burning to death—her burning to death.

Miren sucked in a breath, refusing to think of the next thing that naturally came to mind: Penelope. The girl that was responsible for all of this. So she turned up the music in her headphones, blocking out her thoughts.

"Fall Out Boy, huh?" Miren's head snapped up as Axel plopped down next to her. He pulled off her headphones. She wanted to say his presence annoyed her, but this was the library. And he wasn't Jeno.

"You struck me as one of those classical music listeners," he said, reading her music playlist. Miren frowned at the senior.

"You struck me as one of those non-studiers." She brought out her AP Calc book. "I have a test this week. Can we chat later?"

"Well, I was just finishing a tutoring session with one of the lovely ladies of Rosemunde," the boy began, smirking, "and I saw you and wanted to check up."

She pressed her lips her lips together. His words were practically synonymous with "I wanted to give you the deets on my latest virgin conquest".

"Have you been eating?" She had never heard Axel sound serious, but even his hazel eyes narrowed against hers. She wove her hand.

"Get to the point."

"You know, irritation is a symptom of hunger."

"Thank-you for your diagnosis, Dr. Windsor."

"Come on, I'm busting you out of here," he announced, rising to his feet. "You're the only one who's here."

Miren blinked as she looked around, realizing that everything around her sphere of soundproof solitude was in fact vacant. It wasn't even up to seven. A small sigh escaped her lips. She could have been in her room, but that would risk having Jeno ask her if she were okay, or look at her like he both longed for her and was displeased by her. And it wasn't that she didn't care that he cared, but—

She shook her head; she honestly just didn't know anymore.

Miren looked up him innocently. "Only if you have weed."

Axel scoffed, but he looked impressed. "Unfortunately, I just sold my last batch. Have to pay for college somehow, right?" He laughed as they crossed through some bookshelves through the main space of the elaborate building. "The rents won't pay for me to major in music. Even if it were at Julliard."