Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Chara was still trying to contact "Miles" as she ate her lunch.

"Why do you look so angry?" one of her sophomore friends, a mousy brunette chirped as she took a bite from an apple. "What did Wallace do this time?"

"Nothing," she replied, choosing to text her boyfriend next. But that was part of the problem. All he ever did was confirm that Miren was down in the dumps (shocker), and the only reason she was even talking to him was because they shared a class. A sigh escaped her as her gaze went to the window, the gardens that separated St. Rosemunde and Rinzen. Miren was so close, yet practically another world away. And it was all her fault, wasn't it?

She listened to her table go on about extracurriculars and boyfriends and whatever the hell catholic school girls occupied their time with, but she couldn't feel connected. She had outgrown this clique, and the people who were supposed to let her in had left her in the cold. A curse slid off her lips as she tapped her fingers on the metal table. Maybe she needed someone new.

"Can I sit here?" Before Chara could open her mouth, Artemis took a seat anyway. Chara blinked at her, trying to decide if she was more surprised at her presence or her appearance. Artemis was no longer a ghost of a prep school girl; although though she still dawned the uniform, she looked edgier, like she no longer gave a fuck about anything. And somehow the sisters hadn't scolded her for it. Or maybe they did. She didn't care.

Harsh amber eyes landed on Chara's. "I want to talk to you. Let's walk."

Chara's mouth parted to respond, but Artemis was already on her feet, pulling the girl along with her. Chara offered her friends an apologetic look, but truthfully she was glad. Finally, something interesting!

With a small smirk, Chara watched the other Rosemunde Royals in the corner of her eye. They were confused, even Parker and Soren were there, and the latter boy looked like he'd cried the night before. Because she was a sick person, the sight tickled her.

"I know you were the closest person to Miren here," Artemis began as they entered the courtyard. "And I've been thinking a lot about my feelings, how I don't have a right to be so upset when I didn't do anything—when I didn't really know her." She sighed. "I mean, why aren't you a train wreck?"

Chara shrugged, but her brain was screaming. Was she on to her?! "I think it's because I know I couldn't have done anything. Miren chose to run away when she could have come to me," she lied. But part of it felt like the truth. She shook her head, dismissing the thought. "Part of me is still mad at her. But I'm mostly just mad at Penelope. Did you see all the celebrities she got to meet? And she's basically responsible for killing a girl."

"Which is why we need to do something," Artemis decided, taking in the brisk air. "We need to honor Miren. The news is painting her as Penelope's mentally ill aggressor. This isn't fair."

"Tell me, aren't your friends Penelope and her Splashers?" Chara's gaze was suddenly stern. "Even if you didn't personally do it, you probably know who ruined the assembly. So why do you care now? You should be glad that things are actually peaceful now. Just wait until the Queen Bitch returns," she reminded her. "So why don't you stop acting like Miren is your burden and get over yourself?"

Chara hated this. She didn't have a mean bone in her body, and here she was, telling off the Homecoming Queen.

"Then share your burden with me," Artemis began, fighting past Chara's blow. "I've considered everything you've just said, and I hate who I've become. And I'd rather kill myself than continue to be oblivious to my privilege."