Chapter 38: The Ball

Chapter 38:

The Ball

It was finally the night of the Ball and Asuna was rushing around the dorm breathlessly throwing makeup and shoes around. I just sat on my bed, reading a magazine and watching her worry about little things which did nothing to faze me. However, there was about 1 hour till the Ball began and I was considering getting ready myself… too much effort though—argh.

   “Calm down Asuna,” I mumbled turning a page to view celebrities at their most embarrassing. I giggled at the images.

   “Calm down… CALM DOWN?! Have you gone completely made?” She cried spinning in a circle, “You don’t even look as though you wanna go.”
   “Chill dude, everything will be fine. All I have to do is put on that dress and a little bit of makeup and presto, I’ll be OK looking I suppose.” I replied with a smile.

   She frowned and shifted awkwardly, “You are honestly one of the laziest people I know.” She muttered and walked into the bathroom.

   “Second to me than… I reckon Shiki is pretty lazy.” I laughed to myself.

   Asuna coughed loudly and that’s when I shut up. Fine, she wins. I’ll get changed now…

   I finally managed to pull myself up and walk over to our cupboard mirror. I took out my bobby pins and brushed my hair from over my head, back to laying straight and flat over my shoulders. It was a little wonky and frizzy so I looked over shelves to find Asuna’s straightener.

   I looked at it blankly, how the hell do you use this? I shook my head in outrage, I’m a girl! I should know how to use this thing! Too bad I didn’t though…

   Asuna walked out, all of her makeup on and hair short, bright and curled slightly. She freaked when she saw me holding her straightener. “The hell are you doing?! There’s no time for that!” She yelled snatching it off me.

   I sighed, “But my hair… I want it a little straighter. But I don’t really know how to use that.” I said sadly.

   Her upset face suddenly changed to mutual, “You owe me big time missy.” She said yanking my arm over to her bed. “Sit.” She demanded.

   I did as I was told and she plugged in the straightener. I felt the warm, stinging, sensation as she touched the roots of my hair. I tried so very hard not to yelp since she was going incredible fast. I thought my hair was about to burst into flames.

   Ten minutes had past and she pushed me off her bed, “Check yourself out.” She said placing the straightener on her wooden desk to cool down.

   I skidded to a halt at the sight of my hair. It hasn’t been that straight in a very long time. My hair actually reached over my shoulders and my side fringe came over my face neatly and into a point. I really liked the end result! I looked nice I could say.

   “Thanks Asuna.” I said playing with my warm, straight hair. She rolled her eyes and walked into the bathroom again.

   “You need makeup too, come in here!” Oh jeez, here we go…

   After about 20 minutes this time Asuna made my eyes look larger darker with grey eye-shadow, eyeliner liquid over my eyelid forming into a point, white eyeliner for the inside fold of my eye, below it black pencil gel liner and a bit of mascara to finish off my eyes. Also placing some blush on with a bit of glitter around the edges of my eyes and some red lipstick to match the dress I’m wearing. I looked… like a girl you could say.

   “Wow, you’ve done so much for me. If my mum caught my like this on a regular basis she’d kill me. I never wear this much makeup ever!” I told her with a grin.