14

5+ Comments/Votes for the next part!
Thank you for the lovely feedback on the last chapter! I hope it wasn't too predictable! :)
I'm not too happy with this chapter but I wanted to explore a little of how Adelaide's disappearance influenced Alec behind closed doors. :) 

Clary felt as though she couldn't breathe.

She had spent her entire life thinking that she was an only child when in reality she had siblings that she didn't even know about. Twin siblings; a brother and a sister. What was more, her sister was standing right in front of her and had been for awhile, they'd probably crossed paths once or twice and Clary had been oblivious. Why hadn't she questioned her mother sooner about the box. Maybe everything would be different, she thought as her breathing slowly evened out again. Adelaide is my sister.

'Clary?' Jace's voice pulled her out of her shocked state. She looked into his eyes and saw her disbelief and shock echoed in his own expression. None of them had seen this coming.

Adelaide stayed very still, unsure of what to do after the bomb she and Luke had just dropped on the four shadowhunters in the room.

'Siblings, I have siblings and my Mum never told me.' Clary's face was still ashen, her hands trembling slightly.

'She was trying to protect you, Clary.' Luke started gently.

'Protect me? How is this protecting me?'

'It would have been dangerous for you to know anything about the shadow world, including the existence of your siblings Clary Fairchild.' Magnus spoke for the first time since the revelation.

Clary looked at Adelaide, noting how the older girl wouldn't meet her eyes. 'We're sisters.' She whispered.

Adelaide nodded her head slowly. 'We are.'

'Our brother...'

Adelaide swallowed. 'I don't remember him much. Most of what I remember comes from pictures.'

'We don't even look alike.' Clary laughed slightly hysterically.

At her words Adelaide, laughed softly. 'No, we don't, not really anyway. You take after our mother, while I take after dear old Dad's side of the family.' Adelaide's tone was cynical.

'How - How long have you known about all of this? About me, our family?' Clary questioned, though everyone else in the room listened carefully for her answer. 

'I learnt the truth about everything just over a year ago.'

Alec couldn't believe what he was hearing. Adelaide Renhallow, the girl he'd grown up with, whom he cared for more than nearly anyone, was a Morgenstern. Valentine Morgenstern's daughter. How is this possible? Was she ever going to tell me? Is she working for him?

Alec was pulled from his thoughts by Isabelle's stifled gasp. 'A year? Is that why you left?'

Everyone was intently waiting for Adelaide's answer. Magnus raised his eyebrows at her wondering if she would come clean to the oblivious shadowhunters in the room.

'It's part of it.' Is all she said in reply, avoiding too much eye contact. 

Alec scoffed. 'That's it? That's all your going to say?'

Her vague answer set Alec's barely controlled temper off. Bitter rage and betrayal flooded his body as he stood. Isabelle reached for her brother, trying to stop him doing something stupid but he just shook her off, his lips pulled into a thin line as he stalked towards where Adelaide stood.