Aces Spades and Diamond

Maddison stared down at her shoes, not entirey sure why she felt like walking away without knocking on the door. Part of it was the realization that she had to knock on the door, this was the James' house, not the home she'd grown so accustomed to with West and his Abuela. Mad bit her lip hard to hold the tears back as she was once again painfully reminded that the home she remembered and the woman she loved like her own grandmother were gone. Murdered by Joao as his declaration of war on West.

He had been given every opportunity to leave West and Maddison alone but the ego on that man was impossible to negotiate with. She just wished that she could convince the fear in her gut to go away. She'd almost died because of something that had never involved her until West. That was the crux of why she was hesitating outside his door, a question that her parents had asked her and she didn't have an answer to just yet. Are you sure you want to stay involved in that world? Guilt rode her hard and pitiless, reminding her that West had carried her out of the house and to safety, ignoring the glass and danger as he, naked, saved her life. And then went back to save his Abuela. Maddison only knew that part because of the police and paramedics. She'd been unconscious until they arrived and woke up properly as they were laoding her into the ambulance with West going into his own.

The door in front of Maddison opened and she started guiltily, looking away from the knowing face of West's father. "Maddison. I'm glad I got a chance to speak to you alone." he stepped outside, closing the door behind him.

Maddison knew she had no reason to feel awkward around this man. He looked surprisingly a lot like his son, though without the dark colours that were due to West's Cuban heritage. Mr. James had the same height and lithe build, strength hidden in the leanness of his body, and his eyes sparkled with the same mischeviousness that glowed in her Cubano's eyes. "I wanted to speak to you about West." Mr. James explained, guiding Maddison to a bench that rested halfway between the driveway and the house. Pretentious and yet convient. "He...." Mr. James hesitated for a second. "He wants me to help him push you away." he stated the words plainly.

Maddison stared at her lover's father for a moment, unwilling to believe that West would try to do that to her. And then the realization that she had been contemplating the exact same thing not ten minutes ago killed her indignation. Of course he'd want to push her away, he'd just lost someone he loved very much. He was supposed to be able to take care of his Abuela and Joao had murdered her to get to him. It only made sense that he would try to puch his lover away to protect her.

Not even realizing that she'd stood up and left Mr. James behind, Maddison walked right into their household and towards the room she'd heard was now his permanent mancave. Pushing the door open, Maddison squinted into the gloom of the heavily curtained room. "West, what the hell do you think you're doing, trying to push me away?" she demanded, seeing him trying to knot a tie in the mirror. He wasn't succeeding. Not giving him the chance to continue, she walked up to him and took the tie out of his hands, anxiety and repressed emotion making her voice tight and her hands shake slightly. "I'm not going anywhere so you just need to get used to that fact. And I get a piece of this hombre's delicate parts too." she tied the knot, carefuly not to make it too tight and choke the man she loved.

West was just staring at her with dark, dead looking eyes. That stopped her little speech because she'd never seen him to so unanimated. Even asleep he was a lively sort, grumbling and twitching in his sleep as if he was always on the move. But the look he gave her right now was one abscent of any kind of hope or light. "West... please don't let him win." Maddison whispered, cupping his cheek.

"We should go or we'll be late." West didn't answer any of her statements, instead turning away from her and walking to the door.

Maddison didn't want that simple rejection to hurt, but it did. It was like Juliard all over again. She'd opened herself up to someone and just when she thought it was real and going to be good, they shut her out and leave her broken. She was worth fighting for and she knew it, though that part of her that was convinced she wasn't tried to tell her to slink away, give up before she hurt worse. Cut her losses. However, her spine stiffened up and she marched right after West and grabbed his shoulder, spinning him to face her again and pushing his chest at the same time so he ended up falling against the door, leaving it closed.