II. Chapter 28 | Part 1 - Stone

Stone stayed by Gwen's side all night. They moved her into her bedroom and he camped out on the floor next to her bed with Aubree by his side. He tried to tell her to go to their bed, but she insisted on staying with him, claiming that she felt the strong pull to stay as well. That, and she wouldn't be able to fall asleep without him after everything that happened.

Frankly, he was glad for her presence. She kept him calm when he wanted to break down and cry, replaying over and over Gwen's cries for help as he raced through the forest to get to her, praying to the Goddess that he would get there in time. His complete and utter helplessness in the situation only reminded him of when he lost Adelaide and Arthur and fueled his unquenchable rage towards Carina for her attempt to kill another one of his pups.

Alistair got to her first and was already on his way home with her in his arms when Stone met him a few miles from the pack house.

Carina's scent was all over her, along with a few other vampires. Alistair said he killed one of them when he got to her, but Carina and the others got away.

Emotionally torn in all directions, Stone didn't know what to do at first. On one hand, he wanted to hunt down Carina and rip her limb from limb and on the other, he was beyond terrified about losing Gwen. He couldn't lose her to Carina like he had Adelaide and Arthur. He couldn't handle losing another pup to that damn monster. Every part of him wanted to lash out and charge after Carina, but Gwen needed him more and that kept him grounded. He was furious, worried, and damn relieved. If it wasn't for Aubree's soothing touch, he didn't know how he'd manage his emotions on his own.

Drifting in and out of sleep, nightmares of finding Adelaide and Arthur's mutilated bodies merging with Gwen's form plagued his mind as he clung desperately to her linked soul.

Reaching out to Aubree when he woke, he touched her face and arms gently, seeking the comfort and reassurance that she was still with him.

Goddess, after the night they had, there was no denying how much he needed her now. He could hardly tear himself away from her.

After what must have been the fifth time touching her, she got tired of him waking her and entwined their fingers together. "I'm right here," she murmured, still half asleep. Snuggling closer to him, her soft breaths tingled against his skin with her nose against his neck.

Releasing the air that had been caught in his throat, he relaxed a little before pressing his lips to her forehead. He couldn't help it. He'd never felt more connected and more proud of Aubree for jumping in when she did. He knew Aubree couldn't have done it without Gavin's help, but without her soul joining theirs, the family bond was incomplete. They needed Aubree to bring Gwen back.

Human or not, Aubree was pack now; she was family. Even though they hadn't sealed the matebond, their souls were connected. It was beyond his understanding.

When the sun rose, he pulled himself from Aubree's arms. Gwen would need to keep her strength up, and that meant he needed to hunt for her.

Gwen was sound asleep, still in her wolf form, her foot twitching now and then with a faint whimper.

Smiling down at her, he kissed her forehead gently before pulling the bedsheet over her and concealing her from view when Aubree woke.

Silently, he slipped from the room and hurried down to the main floor and out the front door.

Hector and Rosemary kept watch of the house, and he signaled them to withdraw their positions. Thanking them for all of their help, he dismissed them to return to their beds.

Rosemary and Hector offered their services, and Stone agreed to allow them to send five of their lycans since Gwen would not be able to maintain her usual duties for at least a week. Not only that, but the Rosenrot Pack needed one of them to return. Since Rosemary was the luna, and alpha of their bloodline, there was no debate. She would go and Stone's cousin, Hector, would stay.