Chapter Four - A Dance With the Devil in the Pale Moonlight

Chapter Four – A Dance With the Devil in the Pale Moonlight
Olivia Sky

The moonlight shone above me, illuminating every blade of grass, every ebony bird, and every cracked headstone in the graveyard.

I spun around, scared, confused, I didn't know where I was or how I had got here.

Turning back to face the way I was facing when I opened my eyes, I noticed a gravestone that looked rather new, with fresh soil filling the grave that it rested at the head of.

My vision was blurred, it was raining, drops landing on my skin, feeling so cold, so odd... what did the grave say? Was it someone I knew? I stepped forward, trying not to tread on the grave as I focused on the words engraved on the stone.

Jonathan Crane.

I stumbled back in shock, away from the grave, trembling in fear. No, that wasn't possible. Jonathan couldn't be dead, he couldn't...

Hearing the sound of large wings, I stumbled back from the grave as a large bag landed on it, screeching at me in anger. I tried to move back more, but my feet were tied down. I reached down to free my binds, but instead was met with the hissing of snakes wrapped around my ankles.

I screamed, trying to kick them away, but, before I could, I was pulled down into the ground.

Into darkness.

"Olivia, Olivia, wake up, darling..."

My eyes fluttered open to meet the brilliant blue ones belonging to one Dr. Jonathan Crane, who I was happy to say had been my significant other for five months.

I smiled happily at him, a smile that he returned, kissing my cheek before climbing out of bed.

"You were having the nightmare again." He stated as he changed into his normal attire from his pajamas. I nodded my head when he glanced over at me.

"Yes, it comes and goes." I confirmed, and he nodded his head.

In the past months I had become way more comfortable around Jonathan, as he had around me, and I found that I was often more talkative and outgoing than I had been when we had met. Though, he still seemed to love me, and for that I was grateful.

"At least they're no longer every night." He stated, straightening his tie. I nodded again as I climbed out of bed, getting dressed.

I often stayed the night with Jonathan, so, I had some clothes around.

"Now, I have been out already, I had to pick something up." Jonathan admitted, and I raised an eyebrow at him.

"What did you need to go pick up so early in the morning?" I questioned, and Jonathan tutted, wagging a finger at me.

"Now that would ruin the surprise, my dear."

Turning, he strolled out of the room, leaving me to follow him with a small smirk on my face, curious as to what he had gone to pick up.

Upon entering the living room, I noticed a large box on the floor, box and lid wrapped in decorative paper, with ribbons wrapped around and a bow on top. I raised an eyebrow and looked to Jonathan curiously, causing him to smile.

"Happy birthday, my love." Jonathan grinned, and I felt my cheeks flushed.

"You didn't have to get me anything... and I don't honestly recall telling you my birthday." I smiled lightly, and Jonathan chuckled.

"The school records. I was curious a few weeks ago when it was, so I asked the office. I wanted to give you a special gift but I didn't know when your birthday was, and didn't want to ruin the surprise. Turns out I couldn't have picked a better time to ask."