Book 3 - Chapter 1

A/N: Oh, look at me, already posting the Avengers story. I just can't help myself, Jessi is so fun to write about. <3

💕💕

A Year and Eight months since the Ivan vs Iron Man battle.

Stark Tower, New York City

    "Jes, come look at this skirt for a sec, I think it would look good on you. Perfect for your AB honor roll award ceremony at school" Pepper pulled a black skirt out from the rack of identical skirts. It must have been the seventh black skirt that she has shown me in the span of five minutes. She held it up in front of me under the store lights, allowing for me to examine the sleek material. Her bright eyes seemed to be mentally picturing the skirt on my slim body.

      I gave her a small shrug and leaned my back against the wall right beside the dressing room entrance, while my best to stifle a yawn "Pepper, we've been shopping all morning.. can we go back to the Tower?"

    Pepper gave me a hopeless expression, tossing the skirt into the cart at her hip "Today is Wednesday, we always shop together. Someone has to keep you fashionable" She pushed the cart over to the next section of the store, the blouses. I dragged behind her, my sneakers squeaking against the floor. Shirts galore. All the different outfits that you could think of lined the racks: pink, turquoise, lavender, white, maroon, teal. I did gravitate to the sweaters and pullovers however, my eyes fixating on a national park hoodie. 

"Oh! This red blouse is cute! What do you think?" She pulled it out, showing me the shirt with a hopeful smile plastered on her face. It was cute, buttons with a frilly neckline. Cute for her. 

I broke away from the hoodie rubbed my chin with my thumb and pointer finger, pretending to care "Fabulous, love it, can we go now?"

      Pepper sighed, placing the dress back on the rack "I suppose. We have about six hundred dollars worth of clothes anyway. Do you like that?" she motioned to the hoodie on the hanger. I nodded "go ahead and toss it in then" 

"Okay!" I smiled and clapped my hands together, then grabbed the article of clothing. 

She pushed the cart towards the check out line "let's head on, honey, your dads waiting for us. Any ideas for dinner?"

                                        ***

      We waited in that line for what seemed like ever,  but we finally made it out alive from the clothing store "Look both ways before you cross the street Jes!" Pepper warned, walking behind me with several bags in her arms. I carried a couple in my hands, and had already slipped on the green hoodie over my t-shirt. It possessed that new shirt smell. 

    I waited for her at the edge of the sidewalk, tapping my foot was excitement. From here, Stark Tower could be seen piercing the sky with its tall stature. A few pedestrians moving about the city around us had perched themselves in the shadow tower in hopes of catching a glimpse of the famous Iron Man himself. 

    Some recognized me from a distance and called out my name. I waved shyly, giving my best smile "Quite the celebrity" Pepper said to me as we waited for the cross walk sign to turn green.

"Should I shave my head like that one actress did?" I quipped, adjusting my grip on the shopping bags. 

      Pepper gave a soft chuckle "haha, no". I shrugged, folding my arms across my chest. The bag with the shoe knocked me in the torso "here, let me get that" Pepper offered, already taking the bag from my hands. I returned my attention back to the hundreds upon hundreds of strangers that occupied the streets that day. There is no shortage of diversity in this city. I scanned my eyes across the variety of faces. Across the street from me, directly in my view, a small little coffee shop was lazily brewing along. A couple of people sat outside, sipping hot drinks and chatting quietly as they enjoyed their slow-paced day. I've been there before myself, Dad and I like to get pastries from there whenever we can.