Chapter 36 - Darkness

As soon as my brain processes what is happening, I try to scream, but it's futile. My mouth is covered with tape and there's something inside of it, pressing my tongue, it's not just dry because of whatever I was drugged with. Still, I try and that struggle helps to awaken a bit more, but my body is still clumsy and too heavy for me.

"Don't move too much, dear, you're going to get dizzy," Laura comments, her voice echoes in the car, her expression alert and worried.

In my mind, the amount of things I yell at her in every language I know make even the dirtiest mouth feel innocent. I want to claw my nails in her eye sockets and push her out of the moving car, I want to hurt her so badly but my body is useless right now, even if I try to lift an arm, it just awkwardly moves and misses its target.

"Dean, why is she awake so soon?" Laura asks, focusing her attention on the man next to him, who is still panting from the run with me on his shoulder.

"I don't know, but she won't be able to escape this time. Awake perhaps, but she's still drugged," he reassures her and I can see Laura's smile and notice how this time it looks a bit tense, annoyed.

It's cracking, her façade is cracking.

The rage in me because this is happening, because once again I'm at their mercy, because I'm sure this time they'll kill me, gives me strength I didn't know I had. I know they can't let me leave now that they've found me, because I'm legally dead and if I show up there's just so much to explain and all her plans get ruined. I can't be alive for her to continue where she is.

But I won't let her kill me. I escaped once, I'll do it again.

With a muffled scream, I throw my arm and instead of hitting Laura as I wanted, it smacks Dean. He screams and I don't let this chance escape me, I grab his ear, my nails digging in his skin and pulling, holding on to that with all I have, my vision turning blurry because of the struggle, but I pull, fight and even fall from the seat, groaning in pain. But I don't let go, even if I get thrown around by the movements of the car.

The car swags from one side to the other, violently and Laura is screaming, yelling at Dean to control the vehicle but I'm still attacking him until I feel the impact of the car against something, perhaps a barrier, or a tree.

Despite the pain and how foreign my body feels, I crawl on the floor and to wards the door, knowing the car has stopped and both Dean and Laura are recovering from the impact. At some point Dean's ear escaped my hand, when his head smacked against the window. I open the door and continue crawling out of the car, to the ground. I'm dizzy, the gouger beneath my hands and knees is moves. The passenger's seat hit me on my side when we collided, my ribs hurt and I feel bile filling my mouth, but I don't stop moving. Surviving instincts are stronger than anything else.

"CATCH HER!" I hear Laura's scream from inside the car and I know I don't have time, Dean will come after me.

With tears pricking my eyes, I stand on my feet and take wobbly steps away, urging myself to run while I don't even bother to tear the tape off. I need to run, where to? I have no idea, but away from them.

My legs are numb so I trip and fall, but I crawl and rise again, continuing my clumsy attempt to escape; I can't make it far before someone grabs me from the hair and pulls me back, making me groan in pain and the tears to fall down. My hands fly to my hair, trying to stop the pull that's hurting so much, but it doesn't really help, I'm being dragged like rag doll.

"You little bitch! Why can't you just obediently die as I want you to! Always bothering me!"

Laura is the one dragging me and forgetting about her sweet tone, she's growling this time, like a monster from my darkest nightmares. Moving backwards is too hard, so I stumble and fall and she has no mercy of me, dragging me even on her hard asphalt, my face being scratched when I keep falling, clothes being ripped and skin meeting rough concrete.

We indeed collided against a barrier, one for a bridge. We are on one, not too tall but the river looks deep and fast, or that's what I can see when Laura pushes my back against the barrier, making me lean backwards, threatening to throw me off and into the turbulent waters. They look scarier at night. It's been a while since they took me, it was just the sunset when Nora and I stepped outside the clear.

A slap across my face, hard and fast, makes me look at her again and not the river bellow, leaving my cheek burning.

"If you had died when you were supposed to, nothing of this would've happened! But you're a stubborn one and now I have to get my hands dirty to make sure you don't bother me again!" She slaps me again, harder, but that's not enough and she backhands me, the rings on her fingers cutting my skin. She doesn't stop doing that until she's panting and my face feels number, until her hands are all bloody from my cuts.

She's so angry she pushes me to the ground again and starts kicking me, the heels of her shoes burying in my abdomen, knocking the air out of my lungs and making me double over in agony. I can't scream, my mouth is still full and covered and my body is heavy and still numb. I can barely protect myself from the anger in her every kicks. They are mad, vicious and ruthless.

Tears keep falling and my vision turns blurrier, sleep calls me to escape all this, but if I go there then I'm as good as dead.

I can't give up.

Her hand buries in my hair again, pulling me back to my feet and pushing me against the barrier, this hitting me so hard in the back everything turns black for a moment. After blinking a few times, I can see Laura again, her expression making me think of a demon who's come to get rid of me, and I'm sure that's exactly what she's doing.

"You should've gone to your bloody family in that insignificant country of yours when I gave you the chance. Why did you have to get in my way?" Laura sneers, her eyes as poisonous as a snake, her expression so mad I'm terrified. "Do yourself a favour and don't dare to survive."

I don't get a chance to do anything, she pushes off the fence and into the river and I just fall, without being able to scream or gasp for air, I just fall and hit the cold water. It's deeper than I expected and faster, so I struggle to go back to the surface, but I can't take breathes of air with my mouth covered and my body is in too much pain and too heavy, the drug still in my system, making me barely conscious as I struggle to stay alive.

Even if I fight, I can't stay on the surface, I get dragged, thrown around, spun, water getting in my nose with no way to get it out. I can't cough, I can't do anything and my body doesn't react, doesn't respond as I want it to do.

I become heavier, unable to take myself to the surface and feeling the panic wrapping around me like ropes, tying me up. I can't see properly, everything spins around and I can't focus on anything. My nose, throat and lungs burn, desperate screaming for air, just a bit but I can't grant them that. I try to fight it but I can't.

It doesn't happen slowly, the realisation that I won't make it out alive takes probably five heartbeats. I know this is the end and this time I give up. I let the cold and furious waters take me with them and welcome the darkness to lull me to sleep. This time forever.

I sink deeper and everything turns black. I don't feel, I don't see, I don't breathe anymore. I just let go.

❅ ❅ ❅

I know it's shorter than usual but that makes it more dramatic and hey, Monday is right around the corner. Besides, the next one is already written ;) so who knows, if votes and comments surprise me I might become super kind...

I got a new job! Only on the weekend, so that means I have to update yes or yes on Mondays and Fridays, although perhaps I change it to Monday and Thursdays.

Dedication to 

Bel, xx

~updates every Monday and Friday~