The Search Begins

★ ★ ★

★ ★ ★

Steve pulled out his phone, his fingers moving gracefully over the keypad as he typed the familiar number. He pulled his hat lower onto his face, though his aviators restricted it from being pulled down too low. He was attempting to remain concealed from the public eye, and as of right now it seemed to be working.

He watched Natasha speak with Wakanda's King T'Challa from afar without her knowledge, though it was not done in a creepy manner. He pressed his phone to his ear, listening as the phone rang and watching as she answered once T'Challa had left.

"Yeah?" she answered.

"You alright?"

"I could ask you the same, but. . .uh. . .yeah, thanks. I got lucky," she replied, surveying the area cautiously before standing up. "I know how much Bucky means to you, Steve—I know how much he means to Marlena—I really do. But please. . .stay out of this one. You'll only make things worse for all of us."

Steve let out a breath and averted his attention elsewhere. "Are you saying you'll arrest us?"

Natasha shook her head. "No," she chuckled lightly. "But someone will if you interfere; that's how it works. I know you don't want that for Marlena, Steve."

"Of course," Steve answered. "I never wanted Mar to get in the middle of this, but now that I think about it, I think she and I should be the ones to bring him in."

"But why?"

"Because we're the least likely to die trying," Steve answered simply before hanging up the phone.

He hurried back down the crowded streets of Vienna and back towards the cafe he had left his two companions in. He spotted Marlena's wavy brown hair, which was covered by a baseball cap, and hurried over, plopping down in his seat beside her.

"She tell you to say out of it?" Sam spoke up.

Marlena looked over at Steve as she awaited an answer, shoving a piece of cake into her mouth as she did.

"Yeah."

"She might have a point," Sam chimed, looking back down at his dessert.

"He'd do it for us," Steve sighed.

Marlena simply reacted by stealing the remnants of Sam's dessert, wasting no time at all in shoving the food into her mouth. She wanted to talk, she did, but talking about Bucky would do nothing but make her upset.

"I just wanna make sure we consider all our options," Sam retorted as he stole a piece of his own dessert from the plate in front of Marlena. "People that shoot at you usually wind up shooting at me, and if we do this they're gonna be shooting at this idiot right here, too," he finished, gesturing to Marlena.

Marlena side-eyed him. "I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself."

"Oh, I've always known that," Sam chuckled. "But Steve here needs a valid reason to reconsider doing something stupid."