27th Chapter ♣ Ancient History

"Arlandia—second to the largest under the rule of the Wyldens."

Chapter Twenty-Seven: Ancient History

Valeriana pulled her hair and screamed in frustration. Corvan, annoyed by her antics, shot an irked glance at her direction. The Twelve knew what was bothering the girl though. The fact that she was going to have her second duel was already spreading like wildfire. It was hard to miss the news, although since Lord Corvan wasn't very much fond of gossip, there was no doubt that there was a big possibility he didn't hear of it yet.

"So you aren't aware of it, yet."

The Cold Prince dragged his gaze lazily towards Rowe, who spoke with his usually gentle smile, and glowered at him. "What? Is there something I need to know?"

Before Rowe could open his mouth, Tamara interrupted and casually answered his question. The usual cheerful smile lit up her face and she plopped down on the nearest chair.

"Well, Valeriana will be having her second duel sometime soon. Everyone is looking forward to it," she said, chuckling. "Provided that the challenger doesn't misbehave at all before the duel ensues. It's really an interesting setup."

"Quit with your rude manners, Tamara." Charles snarled. "How many times do I have to tell you not to speak when not being spoken to?"

The third-ranker looked up at Charles with a confused gaze. "Huh? Oh, well." She shrugged. "I forgot."

The fourth-ranker fumed in anger, shooting a heated, unwavering glare at Tamara's direction. The third-ranker seemed oblivious of this though, and continued humming to herself gleefully.

Charles pulled back and took a deep breath, trying to regain his composure. He fixed the glasses that framed his cobalt blue eyes and trained his gaze on Valeriana, who was currently pacing back and forth restlessly around the room.

"Why did I have to agree to that stupid duel?"

"I do understand the pressure, Valeriana." Charles told her. "But be informed that the second duel you perform as the fifth-ranker is regarded with much more importance than the first."

"If you understand the pressure, then you shouldn't have told me!" she yelled at him.

"You're lucky though," Keelan said cheerfully. "You're being given three days instead of just a few hours to prepare! Unlike the last time, this will do you more good right? After all, you were only asked to prepare for a very short period of time but still managed to defeat Courtney!"

"It's not how you think it is! That was just damn luck! I keep telling you it was damn luck!"

"Then pray to your god to grant you that damn luck again," Aneeka said jokingly, polishing the already shiny gun in her hands. Her purplish blue eyes flickered to Valeriana's direction, the ever brown hair with that reflected a color of red under the light snaking down her shoulders.

"Oh, hell I will!"

"But you have to remember that your fight is against Zion Brunhild. He isn't just any normal student in this academy," Rowe reminded, flashing the girl his usual smile that made all girls weak-kneed.

"What? Isn't this academy not normal in the first place?"

"If you put it that way . . . then Zion is not a normal student in a not-so-normal academy!" Tamara exclaimed, bursting into laughter as if it was the funniest joke she ever heard in her entire life.