(9) underwater

Sophie dipped a toe in the water and drew back just as quickly, shuddering. "It's cold!" she squeaked.

"Come on, it feels better once you get in!" Dex encouraged from where he stood waist-deep in the lake. She frowned at him but her reply was cut off by another voice from behind.

"Incoming!" Biana shouted as she ran and launched herself off the dock, whooping as she cannon-balled into the water. Sophie flinched as the cold droplets pelted her skin.

"Oh, come on, Foster." Keefe emerged from the lake just below the dock, smirking. His typically ruffled hair was dripping wet and plastered on his forehead. "For me?"

Sophie wrinkled her nose. "Especially not for you," she joked, kicking her feet to splash at him.

He sighed, shaking his head. "You always have to take the hard way out, don't you?"

She narrowed her eyes. "What do you—KEEFE!!" He grabbed her by the ankles and yanked her into the lake. Sophie took a gasp of air before she let herself be pulled under.

Her hands found Keefe's shoulders and she scrambled to hold on as they resurfaced. His blonde hair dripped into his twinkling eyes as his mouth tilted in a grin. "Did that help?"

Sophie glared at him, but there was no real fire behind it. She shivered slightly from the cold and tried to ignore how Keefe pulled her closer towards him.

"Keefe. Everyone else is here," she reminded him, her heart pounding. They were almost nose to nose now; it was a good thing the dock hid them partially from view, or else Dex definitely would've said something by now.

"Relax. Just take a deep breath for me, okay?" he said.

Sophie raised an eyebrow. "What're you doing?" she asked suspiciously, but gasped in a gulp of air when he disappeared beneath the lake surface, dragging her with him.

She winced at the stinging sensation when she opened her eyes underwater, just barely able to make out the blurry outline of her boyfriend and his shock of blonde hair. The glowing blue-green water filling her vision seemed to vanish as Keefe moved closer and pressed his lips against hers.

Kissing underwater was... different. Sophie exhaled in surprise, releasing a stream of bubbles from her nose as Keefe's arms wound around her waist. It was a short, firm kiss, only a simple press of lips against lips, before she felt the slope of his smile against her own and suddenly they were rising up to the surface of the water again.

She gasped as they reemerged, her heart still beating rapidly in her chest. "A little warning next time would be nice," she stammered.

Keefe held her in his arms and smirked. "Sorry, couldn't help myself." He leaned forward a little more and whispered in her hear, "You look really good in that swimsuit."

He drew away just in time to catch Sophie's mortified, blushing expression, but her chance to reply was interrupted by their friends on the dock above.

"Hey guys, get out! I'm going to do a flip!" Dex yelled.

"What are you doing down there, anyway?" Biana asked, peering through the cracks of the wood planks. Sophie glared at Keefe, her cheeks still flushed red.

"We found some really cool shells down here," Keefe called back. "Want to help us pick them up?"

He was met with a flurry of "ooh! sure!" as everyone scrambled into the water. Keefe glanced in Sophie's direction and shared one last wink with her before their friends joined them under the dock.

 Keefe glanced in Sophie's direction and shared one last wink with her before their friends joined them under the dock