━ four: halloween

CHAPTER FOUR

HALLOWEEN

  ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪  

     IT WASN'T UNTIL the first Hogsmeade visit rolled around that Briar felt like she could do some useful sleuthing. During the days, Briar would smile and look too happy with the student body's immediate liking towards her dad to care about anything else — but, whilst she smiled, she was wondering how to use Divination to try and figure something out.

     Briar was running out of ideas to get the information. She had used tarot cards, she had looked in several crystal balls, she had analysed tea leaves. At one point, she planned to attempt scrying through a reflection that wasn't a crystal ball but ended up being buried by homework. At the current point of time, Briar was struggling to keep up with the revision that she needed. She just wanted to figure something out, prove that her Seer abilities were useful.

     She couldn't tell her parents. Not only were they using the Floo Network to travel from their house to school each and every morning, but they wouldn't believe her. Well, the more Briar thought, the more Briar figured that Laurel would hesitantly believe her. Remus, however, would get defensive. Briar didn't blame him for that. But, by the time she could tell them, she had a feeling that the map would no longer reveal Peter's name.

     Besides. If she didn't tell them, they wouldn't be associated with the situation, and they wouldn't get into any trouble about it. Briar would — Briar would probably get sent to Azkaban just for giving a supposed murderer a slice of toast — and Briar was willing to accept responsibility for it. If her godfather was innocent, Briar wanted to help him out. She just had to figure out how to find him.

     Briar, Fred, and George happened to pass Hermione and Ron talking to Harry whilst they made their way towards the school grounds, planning to walk into Hogsmeade. It was Halloween, and Briar was certain that Fred and George were either planning to eat themselves sick, after pulling a prank before the feast at dinner. Regardless, Briar figured she'd end Halloween the same as usual — pulling Fred and George into a shadowed part of a hallway because they've broken at least ten school rules simultaneously.

     "Harry doesn't have the permission slip, then," said George.

      Fred said, "That's a shame. He would've liked it."

     "I think Dad was planning to speak to him," said Briar. "I think Dad feels guilty about Harry's upbringing because he was best friends with Harry's dad."

     She shoved her hands into the pockets of her red raincoat. Fred and George were already ushering her inside Honeydukes by the time that they officially arrived into Hogsmeade, weaving their way through the third-years excited by the new experience. "We've got to save some money, George," said Fred, as he looked as some of the lollipops. Briar had her arms crossed, standing beside the two, and unknowingly scaring away some of the younger years. "We're yet to get more Stink Pellets."