Chapter Five - No Rest For The Wicked

Chapter Five – No Rest For The Wicked
Jonathan Crane

My eyes snapped open and I pushed myself to sit up, running a hand through my hair.

"Just another nightmare..." I mumbled to myself, looking over at the clock to find that is was around four in the morning, much to early for even myself to get up.

Groaning lightly, I laid back down and closed my eyes, hoping I'd be able to fall asleep.

After a few moments I felt movement beside me, and, opening my eyes slightly, I saw Olivia sit up and rub her eyes tiredly. I frowned lightly, I hadn't meant to wake her up. As she turned to me, I closed my eyes and pretended to be asleep, though I could feel her watching me.

I felt her gaze leave, and then heard her let out a soft whistle patting the blanket at the foot of the bed. I had to refuse the urge to object to that darn dog sleeping on the bed, but stopped myself.

"Mel... Melody, come here, puppy..." I heard her whisper, followed by the soft jingling of the dog's collar as she trotted into the room and hopped up onto the bed. Olivia laughed lightly as she laid back down, the small dog curling up between us, much to my dismay.

Once she seemed to be settled down, I focused on attempting to fall asleep, and was soon greeted by darkness.

My heart hurt.

Opening my eyes, I looked around, finding myself on the ground surrounded by darkness. I didn't know where I was, how I had gotten here...

"Jonathan?"

That was Olivia's voice... if she was here than everything was alright, surely...

I looked up to find her standing over me, and, after a moment, my smile faded as I saw the cold, blank look in her eyes as she watched me with what appeared to be disdain.

"Olivia? What... w-what's going on...?" I questioned, pushing myself to my feet and reaching out to take her hands in mine. Her eyes didn't leave mine, her face blank. What was wrong? Had I done something? This wasn't right...

"Love is a myth, only fear retains meaning..." Olivia stepped forward, piercing a needle into my skin as she whispered into my ear. "The sweetest gift for me, is the sound of you screaming..."

She stepped away from me, and I felt my legs collapse and I hit the ground, shaking as everything distorted around me. She had injected me with the toxin, but why? Why would she ever do that to me... what had I done...

"What..." I shook my head, covering my eyes with my hands to block out the visions. "What are you d-doing, Olivia... w-why...?"

I looked up in fear as I felt her hands on my face, and I found her kneeling in front of me. I melted at her touch, as I always did, but the look in her eyes caused fear to flood through me once again, and I found myself trembling.

"Jonathan, darling..." Olivia started, her voice sinister as she shook her head. "Did you really think that I would love you?"

"...w-what?" I mumbled, reaching up to grab her cool hands that were still resting on my cheeks.

"Why would I love you... you of all people? I could have anyone I wanted. Who would want you?" She laughed, causing my heart to drop as I lowered my gaze to the ground. "I'm young, I have my whole life ahead of me... you're old, burnt out... what use do you have to me?"

"I... Olivia, I- I love you... I..." She interrupted me, grabbing my hair and roughly tilting my head back to look into her eyes.

"Oh, darling, I know you do. The problem is, you're nothing to me..."