II⎮A Lamb And The Wolf In The Night

The street was rather empty tonight, but that was to be expected — it was very late after all. Dinner at the Stapletons had been as monotonous as usual and, had she not urged her aunt and uncle to bid their adieus, she suspected they would all, like as not, still be sitting in the Stapletons' drawing room sipping aged port and listening to her uncle reminiscing fondly about his glory days in the British Artillery.

But for now, all focus had been on Napoleon's exile to Elba, and where the Peninsular War was concerned, Emma was doubtless the most well informed twenty-six year old in all of Derbyshire. Blast Millicent for begging off tonight! The little hoyden had quickly contrived an ague to suite the purpose of her not attending tonight's dinner.

Emma stifled a yawn, she could not wait to get out of her bonnet and stays and, directly thereafter, climb into bed. Would that she too had had the foresight to decline this evening's invitation somehow.

Tonight she had matched her bonnet with the dark green of her fur-lined pelisse and worn her prettiest, gown, a creamy, silk dress with little blue flower trim along the hem, sleeves and across the bodice.

Her two guardians were walking tirelessly ahead of her as she followed close behind them, their heels, and her uncle's cane, rending the quiet with each tread across the cobblestone road. When they passed a little milliner's shop, Emma peered into the window and admired the arrangement of headdresses by way of the gas-lit street lamp that cast its orange glow.

"A moment, uncle," she murmured distractedly, spotting a particularly pretty hat that she thought she might like to try on tomorrow. Meanwhile, two carriages passed by at a leisurely pace the while she stood longingly at the window.

The bonnet she now admired was wide brimmed, decorated with green feathers — her favorite color — and looped with pretty bows of emerald ribbons. Yes, it shall do me nicely, she thought as she leaned in a little closer. There was also rather a lovely, blue turban beside the one she coveted and she imagined it would suit Millicent beautifully. Her sister loved to trim hats and if she decided she would rather do away with the artificial, crepe flowers that adorned the piece, she might actually improve on it. Her sister possessed a very steady hand and was very skilled with a needle.

"What do you think, aunt Sophie? Shall we return here on the morrow?"

But there came no answer. With a frown, she looked toward where they had been only moments ago. There was no one there now. Nothing stirred in the darkened street except for a large tabby that streaked past her and into the alley up ahead, almost as though something had startled it from the gloom of the park adjacent the street just behind her.

Emma narrowed her gaze, the better to focus her stare, and studied the area with growing unease. There seemed to be a large shadow looming just beyond the broad bole of an oak tree.

There cannot be anyone there. I am merely tired and conjuring fairies from nothing! she reasoned. Why would anybody be out in the park at this time of the night? That was certainly an excellent question. But then why are you roaming about at this hour? she suddenly asked herself. And where is my aunt and uncle, come to that?! She tried to ignore her quietude in favor of the vexation she felt for her guardians. Her aunt should at least of heard her; but then that lady had likely allowed her senses to wander again.

However, they had doubtless already noticed her delay and even if that were not the case, they would not have wandered far — were perchance already waiting for her to catch up. She hastened into the direction they had been walking. Their townhouse was not far from here and if she hurried, she would be home within a few moments. That was why they had not called a hack in the first place, for their house was not two miles from the Stapletons and it was a warm evening besides.