A New Recruit

★ ★ ★

★ ★ ★

To say Marlena was uncomfortable was nothing more than an understatement. She had never been so cramped before in her life, and the fact that she was the smallest among three well-built men made it worse. She could only imagine how they must've felt being cramped inside such a small vehicle; all she had to go off of were their thoughts, and from what she could make of them they seemed to be in the same boat as she did.

"What the hell kind of getaway car is this, Steve?" Marlena grumbled as she attempted to get comfortable in the seat behind him. "You couldn't have found a nice Jeep or something roomier?"

"Hm, are you uncomfortable?" Steve hummed.

"Yes, and I'm tired as hell," Marlena breathed out as she pressed her forehead to the back of Steve's seat. "At least in a Jeep I could sleep in the trunk or something."

"Well, maybe you wouldn't be tired if you and Bucky hadn't spent the entire night fucking each others brains out. You look like a walking hickey," Sam retorted, though he was only half-kidding.

"Shut up, Sam."

Steve laughed at Sam and Marlena before shifting his seat backwards as he drove, leaving the brunette in a fit of agitation. "Just think of this as a small punishment for that stunt you pulled back in Romania."

"What stunt?" Marlena exclaimed. "You mean the stunt where I saved you from getting shot?"

"No. I'm talking about the stunt that resulted in you falling from the sky and onto the hood of the car I was driving," Steve scoffed.

Marlena rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest. That entire incident had been Sam's fault, and she refused to sit there and listen to Steve blame her for it. "Sam snatched me up, Mr. Wakanda swooped in, and then I just kinda fell. Just be glad I fell on you instead of the road."

"There's gotta be a better way to phrase that, cupcake," Sam snickered.

Marlena snapped her head over to Sam. "I will rip out your larynx."

"If we could level down on the hostility, that would be great," Steve said, his voice raised slightly.

"If anyone's being hostile here, it's baby Mar," Sam chuckled. "I'm wondering if it's getting to be that time of the month; she seems extra moody this afternoon."

Marlena shook her head and averted her attention out the window. "I can't believe I'm stuck here with you idiots."

Bucky gave her a look, though she couldn't see it. "Why are we idiots?"

"Oh, you don't need me to go there, sweetheart," Marlena said as she looked over at him, a sarcastic smile on her face.

Bucky pursed his lips as he took in her expression, and he shook his head before sinking down as far as his small seat would let him.