Chapter I: Poison? C'mon Jordan, You Should Try It

I woke up to the sound of food sizzling.

Which wasn't a good thing.

Usually it was nice to wake up to the sound of breakfast cooking, smelling the food that came with it. But as someone living by himself in his own apartment, that was the last sound anyone would want to wake up to.

I sat up from bed, seeing that I must have unconsciously kicked the blanket away. As I met the cold air of the morning, I had the urge to grab the covers and burrow back into my bed but I fought against it. I brushed my hair off my eyes and was left blinded by the light escaping through the window blinds. I was never a morning person, and seeing as I woke up before my alarm clock to what may be an intruder wasn't the best way to wake up.

I didn't like the thought of having an intruder in my place, especially this early in the morning. I glanced at my dresser next to my bed, specifically a certain drawer. I didn't want to use it, and so I decided not to at the moment. Quite stupid on my part, but as it is so early in the morning, I didn't wish to wake up the neighbors.

I was still half asleep at this point and wasn't able to think straight. Despite this, I managed to get up from bed. I was on my way to the kitchen, anticipating the moment when I had to confront the intruder who broke into my place just to... cook... food.

What kind of robber would cook food in the house they are stealing from? I stood there for a moment, not liking the realization that hit me.

I knocked the alarm clock off my dresser. The sizzling sound instantly stopped the moment it hit the ground. The screen that read 6:00 vanished in a blink.

I let out a sigh.

After breaking one too many alarm clocks, Jordan decided to give me one. As it was only the first time I used it, I didn't realize he actually made this the customizable sound for the alarm to go off.

I stood there, facing the clock for a moment. Not contemplating the death I bestowed on it and looking back to what we went through. I was planning on his murder. Though I decided to put it off later as I should discuss the details further with Declan.

I first made my bed, not being able to stand coming back home with it as messed up as I left it. Then I went into my bathroom to get ready for school. I didn't see there was any need to go into any details what happens in there. Though I can say that it takes a considerably long time to fix my unruly bed hair. After I was dressed up, I headed into the kitchen to cook myself something before picking them up.

Turning on the coffee maker, I rolled up my sleeves and went to work. I grabbed a frying pan and placed it on top of the stove. I decided to make a quick omelette, having already prepared some sliced vegetables last night for this breakfast. I cracked a few eggs and mixed everything together- If you know how to cook an omelette, I don't need to go on with this boring process.

I placed the omelette on the plate, and poured myself a cup of coffee with a chocolate creamer I wanted to try out. I took a sip and couldn't help but have a small smile escape. I took a long look at the apartment I called home. I didn't mind the solitude I was given since I moved here. Despite having lived here for a few months now, it was as if I have always lived here. I was only thankful for her support for me being able to be here, helping out with the paperwork, the signing, and despite my refusals, the allowance. I need to remember to write back to her to tell her how things are going.

Suddenly my phone rang. Looking at the caller ID, I saw that I didn't need to write anything. I paused for a moment to ready myself as I do with all of our conversations. I took a seat and took another sip of my coffee.

"Hello?"

"Yes, I can hear you."

"You're in California? I thought you were in-"