LJ10 - Part 21

(Disclaimer: I'm no expert on the NWSL/US Soccer and their rules and regulations so obviously not everything is 100% accurate - but necessary for the storytelling)

After enjoying lunch with Camila and Lara, we had made our way to pick up Lara's best friend Alma. I had heard a lot about her this far but hadn't met her yet. It was exciting to see the little girl I shared such a strong bond with interact with kids her own age. Up until this point I hadn't had a chance to see a lot of that. The feeling of being included in their daily lives filled me with indescribable joy.

Alma was definitely a lot shier than I had expected. The dynamic between her and Lara was absolutely endearing. Lara truly blossomed around her best friend and seemed more confident which was adorable to me. I was reminded of her wish concerning siblings and had a better understanding of why she wanted to be a big sister. Watching them laugh and simply be carefree felt wonderful.

I was so caught up in my thoughts that I had completely forgotten everything around me. Lara and Alma were on the playground in the park as Camila walked away from them and back to me. Seated on a bench, I blinked a few times to snap back to reality. The younger one took a seat next to me.

Turning my head to face her, I was surprised by her hand approaching my face. I realized she was holding a purple flower of some sort that she had probably plucked in the park. Before I knew it, she placed the flower behind my ear and in my hair. Her big smile while doing it made my heart flutter. Actually, the entire gesture made my heart beat faster because it was so undeniably sweet.

„I knew it would look cute on you," Camila said quietly while I suppressed the urge to kiss her because Lara was a only a few feet away. „You're blushing," she added with a hint of a grin.

„I'm not blushing," I tried playing it cool although I was sure my cheeks had probably flushed without me noticing.

„You totally are which makes it even cuter," my girlfriend chuckled lightly.

„Maybe a little," I gave in hesitatingly but smiled as well.

„Yeah, just a tiny bit," the other brunette clearly teased.

„You enjoy seeing me flustered, huh?" I asked playfully.

„You're one to talk!" she scoffed as I smirked. „Usually you get me flustered with your one-liners so I might as well get revenge."

„I guess that's true," I admitted honestly.

We exchanged a smile and I focused my eyes on her lips for a brief moment. I noticed her eyes lowering to my lips as well but kissing wasn't an option in front of her daughter so we held back. Instead we watched Lara and Alma for a while. It was freezing cold but they didn't seem to care. A part of me wanted to snuggle up to my girlfriend to create some warmth but I resisted once again.

„I know we said we would wait until we're alone," Camila suddenly spoke up and I faced her immediately. „But I can't help but be curious. Are you really thinking about playing soccer again?"

I took a deep breath and shifted my body so I was turned towards her. Perhaps it was better to talk about my thoughts later on but I understood her curiosity and didn't see a problem speaking to her about it now. Opening up had never been a strength of mine but I was trying and therefore explained what I had been going through.

„Well, recently I've been very unhappy at work," I began and met her gaze. „I feel like no matter what I do, it's never enough. You know me and I'm a really ambitious person so I don't mind working a lot.. but something doesn't feel right. The amount of pressure I put on myself is starting to weigh on me and I feel like I have no time to wind down. I'm very much on edge almost constantly."