Choices

I was shaken from my deep sleep by a large hand. I groaned, curling into the side I was pressed against. "No... Five more minutes." Two sighs sounded.

"If you sleep much more, we'll never reach Erebor." Fili's voice said. I sat up groggily, and Kili did as well. I glared at two. I sighed, reaching for the brush on the table. I braided my hair. I went to grab my clothes in the corner, and I closed the bathroom door. I slid off my shirt, and I was no skinnier than I had been just a day ago. Not yet. I knew I probably would be soon. I looked down at my two bandaged arms. They were in identical places, looking quite symmetrical.

There were lines of blood, and I figured I'd change them when we got to Erebor. I sighed. I slid my shirt and breeches on. I walked out, and grabbed my boots. I laced them up, and started donning my weapons. They slid into their sheaths. I replaced the thigh sheath back on my leg, and I strapped my swords and bow on last. I wrapped my cloak around my weapons. When I glanced back, I felt stupid. I hadn't realized how much worse Kili had gotten.

His face looked gaunt. It was pale, looking something similar to wax paper. His eyes were glazed over in pain, and I could see the thin sheen of sweat. He heavily relied on his left leg, and his face was slightly contorted in pain. "Kili... " I sighed. I took his hand, and his hand gripped mine tightly. "Let's have Oin look at it." I said.

"What about you?" He said. I looked down at my sleeve, and then shook my head.

"It's just a couple scratches. Yours are of more importance." I answered, and we came from the room. We followed the corridor, and toward the others. Thorin shot us a look, and I glared lightly as I felt Kili straighten. His face was set in an emotionless mask. "Oin, can we have a more professional look at this?" I called out.

The old dwarf shuffled over, and Kili sat down. I rushed around to find more bandages. I heard a soft grunt, and I knew they had taken off the bandage. When I had collected the supplies, I ran back over, and almost dropped the supplies. The flesh was a nasty color, borderline black. The veins spreading from the wound were a deep purple as well. Even the blood didn't seem like it was the right color. I gagged, and sat down next to him.

"I don't know what to do. We should have had it examined sooner." Oin said. I looked at Kili, who remained unreacting, emotionless. "We'll look at it more in Erebor." Suddenly, as Oin was bandaging, the Master burst into the room, guards flanking him. We stood at the sudden noise. Oin finished once we knew there was no real danger.

"Great warriors! We are here to provide you with the necessary supplies to continue your journey." My eyes trailed over to Alfrid, who smirked evilly. I cringed, and felt the ghost of his hands haunting my curves. Kili's grip tightened protectively, and Fili moved in front of me, hard glares on their faces. Alfrid's smirk dropped as he looked away. The guards came in further, laden with furs and goods.

One started to approach me, and I stopped him. "I am well prepared for this journey." He looked at me, and then continued handing out armor, weapons and furs. Once they were done, it was quite comical. The furs were much to big for the small men. The hats hung lopsidedly, and the weapons were strapped on, hanging loosely and undisciplined.

"Let us journey to the pier! We shall send you off with cheers and luck!" He cried. He lead us through the town, where the townspeople were standing on the sidelines, cheering. I walked close to Kili, my hand clasped in his. Fili came up, and grabbed my other one.

"You do know we're one short; where's Bofur?" Bilbo said. I stopped, and looked around.

"If he's not here, we leave him behind." Thorin said gruffly.

"We have to, if we're to find the door before nightfall. We can risk no more delays."

"That creep." Kili muttered under his breath. Alfrid glanced back, smirking. It dropped upon seeing the fearsome glares of the brothers. We finally arrived at the peer, and everyone started getting onto the boat. Supplies were in the boat as well. Dwalin was already in the small craft.

Fili stepped in, and then I. Just as Kili was about to step in, Thorin held out his hand. The others continued to climb aboard. I looked back at the scene. "Not you. We must travel with speed, you will slow us down." Kili smiled, thinking Thorin was joking. My shoulders fell. He wasn't joking.

"What are you talking about? I'm coming with you."

"No." Fili and I turned to Thorin more fully.

"I'm going to be there when that door is opened, when we first look upon the halls of our fathers, Thorin." Kili said, looking to Fili and I. His eyes looked so sad, and I almost saw the light leave his eyes.

"Kili, stay here. Rest. Join us when you're healed." Thorin laid his hand on Kili's shoulder, smiling at him. He understood that it hurt. But Kili only looked shocked and betrayed. My heartstrings snapped. Thorin then turned to board the boat. Kili turned away, and he almost looked on the verge of crying. Oin departed from the boat.

"I'll stay with the lad. My duty lies with the wounded."

"Uncle, we grew up on tales of the mountain. Tales you told us. You can't take that away from him!" Fili cried out. I looked back at my love, and saw that Oin was examining Kili, but all he tried to do was pull away.

"Fili." Thorin said, and I turned back to the scene at hand.

"I will carry him, if I must."

"I will as well." I chimed in defensively.

"One day you will be king, and you will understand." Thorin ignored my comment. "I cannot risk the fate of this quest for the sake of one dwarf."

"Kili is your nephew. Thorin." I said softly. Fili looked toward his brother, and began to step from the boat.

"Fili, don't be a fool. You belong with the Company." Thorin grabbed Fili's arm, staring him dead in the eye. There I saw the similarities between them. Their cerulean eyes clashed in similar glares. They had an authoritative aura to them, and they were battling for dominance.

"I belong with my brother." Fili said defiantly, pulling from Thorin, joining his kin and Oin. I was about to make a move to get out, when something stopped me. I turned back to see Dwalin looking at me. When I turned to see the brothers, Fili and Kili looked with similar looks of wistfulness. Dwalin called my name, and I faced him again.

"What are you thinking?" He asked. I sighed, my shoulders falling. I faced him more directly.

"What should I do? I know that you guys need me, and that everyone is at risk, but I can't just leave Kili here."

"Well, you know that I'd rather have you here, so I can protect you. And remember what we said about being reckless." He said.

My name was called again, and I turned to Fili. "Stay here. You're dealing with a dragon if you go. Stay here, and you'll be safe."

"Don't leave. You can't. I need to make sure you're alright. What if something were to happen? I'd never forgive myself. Because I wouldn't be there to do anything, since I'm here with my leg." Kili added. It was like I was being pulled in two directions physically, yet I knew it was just my head playing tricks. My heart had a tug of war with itself; the family on the boat, or the family standing on the pier, their eyes so sad.

"Dia... this is putting thousands of lives at risk if you don't go. Imagine what could happen? Don't be reckless again." The argument was cut off as instruments started to play suddenly. The Master climbed onto a platform and started to speak.

"We are here to wish off these dwarves. They are participating in a noble quest. One that shall benefit us, and bring us back the King under the Mountain. May this quest bring good fortune to all!" Cheering ensued, but it all sounded distant. I looked at the brothers, to see their shoulders sagging, their eyes hopeful, yet sad at the same time.

What should I do? I knew that Oin and Fili were more than capable of taking care of Kili, but that didn't change the fact I was all but abandoning him. But I couldn't abandon the quest, we were so close. I wouldn't know the fate of Dwalin until it might be to late. Thousands were at stake for this, and yet... I wanted to stay with Kili. Would I actually be able to do anything with my mind elsewhere? I mumbled quietly to myself, and yet it seemed as though everyone was listening.

"I choose..."