Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

“How—why—would you say that?” gasps Mr. Denby. “Tomasz Jepsjon have you no feeling that you can calmly announce to Keya's parents that their daughter has been captured by a band of murderous psychopaths, a thing that you cannot know!”

Tom has stiffened, even at this distance I can see the fire and ice burning in his eyes and the room seems suddenly cooler.

“Keya Green was captured by an Andak soldier, whom she then knowingly or unknowingly told of Dec Daxman Andaks whereabouts.”

There is a surreal moment of silence before the inevitable shouting begins.

“You brought the spawn of an Andak here?” splutters Mr. Denby. “What were you thinking of: what of your allegiance to the tribe.”

“Which one?” asks Tom coldly. “Tomasz Jepsjon may serve this tribe but Tomasz Dexter Andaks allegiance lies elsewhere!”

I can almost feel the crowd recede from him as though he had shouted ‘unclean’. Nella’s graceful pose by the fire place has become awkward and her mouth is sagging open in surprise, Jamie’s head has lifted sharply and Ralph is staring at Tom quizzically. I have an uncomfortable feeling that he is going to laugh.

My eyes meet Tom’s across the room and I see a look in them that I haven’t seen for sixteen years, since the first time I ever saw him.

“You, you…” Mr. Denby turns on Uncle Jep. “You bought two of the filthy swine here!”

“David be careful what you say!” interrupts my father sharply.

His voice, although not loud, is nevertheless effective.

“You have some explaining to do Tom.”

“That may be sir but I’m afraid that I’m not going to do any,” answers Tom.

Into the tense silence there is a shout of laughter.

“So sorry, do carry on,” Ralph’s voice is hoarse as he wipes his eyes.

I’m not sure why but I feel better now as though the ice that has crept around my heart has been melted.

“Dad it’s Tom, just as he’s always been, why does he have to explain himself to people who are treating him like a criminal?”

“You know nothing young lady, he is a criminal born of criminals, so keep your mouth shut.”

Mr. Denby has advanced, his overflowing anger spilling over and on to me, somehow Tom is between us and my father’s hand has fallen on Mr. Denby's shoulder restraining him.

“Control yourself, David. My Daughter has a right to express her opinion, you however, have no right to force your opinion on the rest of us.”

As Mr. Denby turns from me I expel a breath I hadn’t known I was holding.

I had expected the reaction to Tom’s confession to be strong, but I had not expected it to be violent. Tom, still standing between me and Mr. Denby, surreptitiously takes my hand. It’s only when my fingers are encased in his warm steady clasp that I realize that mine is cold and trembling.

“Tomasz and I have lived peacefully and helpfully in your tribe since we arrived sixteen years ago, in nothing did we prove to be trouble makers but to the contrary we have been assets to your community.”

 Uncle Jep’s soft, accented voice has commanded the attention of us all.

“Tomasz’ parentage may not be as you wish, but he is your only chance of recovering Keya. However distasteful we are to you, please remember that.”