Chapter 4

I didn't know when I came back into reality. It all just faded together.

"Riley." I heard Nat's voice before I actually saw her. "Riles? Can you hear me?"

I didn't answer. It didn't feel real. Nat's face moved out of my line of vision and Steve's took its place. Concern filled his eyes as he looked at me.

"Riley?" He whispered my name as he reached up and touched my cheek. He felt real. I leaned into his palm then forward into him. I pressed my ear against his chest as he wrapped his arms around me. I could feel the team looking at us as he held me.

"I'll give her a once over when we get back to the tower." Bruce said from his seat across from us.

"That'll probably be a good idea." Nat said, still sitting next to me. I felt a hand rub my shoulder and I knew it was Nat's.

I continued to stare blankly at the wall as flashes of the dream continued to appear in my mind. I rubbed my forearm, feeling the non existing burn marks in the form of my mother's small hand. Once we landed at the tower, Steve's slowly let me go.

"Stay here, doll." He whispered. He got up and walked over to the other side of the jet by his shield.

"Lab's all set up, boss." I heard Maria's voice and the clicking of her heels.

"Oh actually he's the boss. I just pay for everything, design everything, and make everyone look cool." Tony corrected her. I looked up at the both of them.

"What's the word on Strucker?" Steve asked, walking over to Maria.

"Nato's got him." Maria answered.

"The two enhanced?" Steve continued. I reached up and grabbed onto a handle. I forced myself to my feet and I could feel Tony watching me. I moved over to Steve and looked at the picture. Both of the faces I recognized.

"Wanda and Pietro Maximoff. Twins. Orphaned at then when a shell collapsed their apartment building. Sokovia's had a rough history. It's nowhere special but it's on the way to everywhere special." Maria told him. I followed them as they walked out, into the tower.

"Their abilities?" Steve asked, looking behind him at me.

"He's got increased metabolism and improved thermalnostatsis. Her thing is neroelectic telekinesis into manipulation." Steve gave her a confused look. "He's fast and she's weird."

"Well they're going to show up again." Steve said.

"Agreed. File says they volunteered for Strucker's experiments. It's nut." Maria added. Steve placed an arm around my waist and led me into the open elevator.

"Right. What kind of monster would let a German scientist experiment on them to protect their country?" Steve asked her. You would and did.

"We're not at war, Captain." Maria reminded him.

"They are."

The elevator closed and I felt Steve grasp my face. He angled my head up to look at him. He looked into my eyes and pursed his lips. His eyes still held concern but something more.

"I need to get you to Banner."

"Brain waves are....surprising normal. Look here." Banner turned from his computer screen and to me. He shined a light in my right eye and I followed the finger he held up. He checked my other eyes and sighed, shutting off the light.

"What's wrong with her?" Steve asked him from behind me. Banner looked at him then back at me.

"There appears to be no damage. I don't see any cause for why she acted the way she did." Banner grabbed my face and tilted it from left to right. He sighed again. "I don't understand why this happened. And because of that, I have no clue what to do. Your scans are completely normal as of the moment. I would say get some rest, I'll scan you again tomorrow. To see if there's any change. It would be best if someone stays with you, just for emergencies."

Steve placed his arm around my waist and under my knees and lifted me up off the table.

"Will do, doc. Thanks."