Chapter Three

I started up at the gates as we neared them, my stomach knotting itself with nerves.

"I'm not sure about this, my lady." I said, tightening my grip on Abatos' mane.

"Prince Arthur is my bethrothed. He will surely take care of us." She replied, her voice filled with confidence.

"You do not know him!" I protested.

"I'm marrying him! If he is trusted enough to marry me, he is surely trusted enough to give us harbor!"

I clenched my teeth, my eyes narrowing. I reached up, and pulled the hood of my cloak further down my face. Faye followed my exampled, and did the same, looking down to hide her face.

I did not trust the situation, and I should have protested when Faye suggested riding to Camelot. She had been betrothed to Arthur a couple of months ago in an attempt to bring peace to both of our lands.

She had never met him.

Until now, that is.

We rode through the lower city. Everyone was out and about, meandering around the marketplace. Everyone seemed so happy, and felt that we -- with our exhausted horse and bloodstained clothes -- did not belong.

Finally we reached the gates that lead into the upper city, and, eventually, the castle.

Knights raced forward, wary about our appearance. I had to admit, we did not appear trustworthy.

"Halt!" One of the knights shouted, his blood red cape billowing around him, "State your business!"

I motioned for Faye to keep quiet, silently telling her I would take care of this. She ducked her head down further, but I met the knight's eyes, boldly.

"I am Dawn of Deira. I have come to seek an audience with the King." I announced, refusing to submit to him.

"Not anyone can see the King. Come back next week during the proper times."

"Can you not see that this is a matter of importance?!"

"I'm sorry, but I can not let you past."

The knight turned around, signaling the end of the conversation. I opened my mouth, about to protest, but Faye straightened abruptly, tossing back her hood.

She sat behind me regally, her chin held high, and her crown sitting prettily on her head. It was a wonder the crown hadn't come loose, despite our long journey.

The knight turned around. He saw the crown on top of her head, and the ring with the royal seal on her finger, and immediately bowed.

"I apologize, Princess, I did not realize it was you."

I turned to glare at Faye. The objective had been to keep our heads down until we had reached the palace. And now, with the knight bowing and Faye sitting there like she owned the world, heads were being drawn towards us.

When Faye ignored my dirty look, I turned it on the nearby onlookers. They cowered under my gaze, but they did not leave. The knight was still bowed.

"Stand up, sir!" Faye exclaimed.

The knight straightened, looking as if he would be admonished any moment. I pitied him. Many times I had been Faye's target, and I knew it was not a pleasant experience.

"Now, my servent and I would like an audience with the King. Do you believe you can manage that, or must I find another knight?"

"No, my lady! I will take you to the castle myself!" He exclaimed, obviously flustered.

I scoffed. The man turned and mounted his own horse, leading us past the gates. I clucked Abatos into motion, leading him after the knight.

"Put your hood back up." I hissed to Faye.

Fortunately, she decided to listen to me without any trouble.

The closer we came to the castle, the more anxious I became. I worried about the reactions of King Uther and his son. I heard Uther himself was a tyrant, but I did not know what to expect of his son.

Finally, we reached the castle's courtyard. I slid off the back of my horse, and helped Faye down. She stumbled slightly, but with my help she was about to steady herself. A young boy came to take Abatos to the stables.

He was about to lead him away, when I reached out and grabbed his arm. He turned to look at me with wide eyes.

"He is a fine animal," I said, "He is exhausted. I expect him to be well taken care of."

The boy nodded, and I released him. He scurried away, leading Abatos away. Faye tugged on my arm and I turned to see a Knight who was prepared to lead us to the King.

I nodded, and followed after him, helping Faye along. She put up a good front, but we were both exhausted and dirty, and definitely not in any state to see the King.

The knight led us through the main doors, and if I had been feeling better, I probably would have been admiring the beauty of the palace.

We followed him blindly, and eventually he halted in front of the throne room. He drew open the door, and led us in.

"Father, I cannot just sit around and do nothing!"

"You will do as I say!"

The blond prince and his father were arguing, a dark haired servent standing off to the side. They did not notice our entrance and continued arguing.

I grew uncomfortable with each word exchanged. Finally, the knight cleared his throat. All three men whirled to face us. Uther seemed angry, and I almost cowered underneath his glare.

"Sire." I greeted, bowing.

Faye bobbed her head next to me, showing her respect as well.

"What is the meaning of this?" Uther demanded, narrowing his eyes at the three of us.

"Princess Fayelinn and her handmaid wishes an audience with the king, my lord." The knight explained.

The blond man whipped his head around to see us. I would imagine this would be Prince Arthur. And I bet he was rather eager to see the face of the woman he was to marry.

"Princess Fayelinn, of course!" Uther exclaimed, his anger seemingly vanishing. "Were we expecting you?"

Faye opened her mouth to answer, but nothing came out. Instead, she began sobbing. All three men appeared alarmed at the sight, and I pulled her to my side, attempting to hide her from their scrutiny.

"You were not, my lord." I said, answering for Faye.

"Pray, tell me what's wrong?"

"There was an attack on Deira, sire. We were the only two to make it out that I saw. Deira is now in ruins."

I stepped forward, tears welling up in my eyes.

"We have come to seek refuge, my lord."