Chapter Twenty-one

After telling Ned all that had happened to her in the woods they drove back into town before ending u at the drive-in. A young girl came up to them on roller skates and asked for their order. "I want a small chocolate dipped soft serve, please," said Nancy.

"Make mine a sundae with caramel sauce, nuts, and a cherry on top," Ned added.

"Sure whatever you want dreamboat." said the waitress with a wink directed at Ned.

"What a jerk! Can't she see were a couple?" Nancy mumbled under her breath. In response, Ned grinned wickedly.

"I would have never pinned you as the jealous type." He said raising an eyebrow, mockingly.

Nancy gave him a strange look before adding, "I have no idea what you are talking about!" Ned reached over to hold her hand just as a different server brought out their sweets on a large metal tray.

"Must have been a shift change. That waitress must have left just now." Ned replied. Nancy gave him a quick death glare from across the car. Ned smiled nervously, making a mental note to never cross this woman. Neither of the two said anything as they sat there and ate.

Next, they drove to the police station to file a report on what had happened out in the wood earlier. "May we speak to an officer, we need to have a word with someone?" Ned asked.

"Hold on I'll check." said the middle age office worker that had met them at the door upon arrival. After a few minutes, the women returned from the back of the office and said "Officer Jones will see you now."

Walking into the office they spotted Officer Jones behind a large oak desk. She was a tall African American women who appeared to be in her thirties and was quite friendly... The two teens filled her in on what had happened in the woods but were careful to leave anything about the happenings back at Aunt Bettie's home. Nancy had learned before not to share extra information with the police, especially when it came to clue connected to a haunted house. Mostly, because they normally did not believe her.

Miss Jones cleared her throat before adding, "I will have an officer go check to go out that area and tell you what we find, however, suspect it might have been a homeless man. They quite often camp out in the woods or even live in old junk cars."

"If that is the truth how would you explain the wolves that attacked us?" Ned asked as he fidgeted feeling anxious.

The officer was thoughtful for a moment before leaning back in her cushioned desk chair and adding "Could be a number of reasons really. For instance, a few rabid animals have been seen in this area quite recently. Or it could simply be a pack of real wolves that ventured too close to camping sites and learned to come to rely on humans for food. It really is impossible to tell at this point what the true cause is."

"But what about Nancy's...." Ned started to say before Nancy grabbed his arm and gave him a look as if to say not to continue any further.

The officer stood up from her seat to escort the teens out of the office. "I will get back in touch if we find anything."

Ned felt very annoyed and frustrated with the entire situation. "I don't care what she thinks, Nancy. We know what really happened out there in the wilds and I feel that you might need a guard after all that has happened!"

"I know how you feel Ned. The police rarely take us, teenagers, seriously anymore," she answered while getting back inside the car and seat belting herself in.

"Do you think it might be alright with your aunt if I stay overnight for a while? I just don't think it is safe for you to be out investigating this case without some muscle to back you up." Ned asked with deep concern showing in his expressive eyes.

"My aunt is very old fashioned so I am not quite sure if she will approve. But perhaps you can stay on another floor and in another wing of the house," she suggested.

"Alright, we can ask when I take you home tonight." the young man said as he appeared to relax a bit. "Now how about the rest of our date?" he said with a cheeky smile on his face.

"That is an interesting question," Nancy said as she moved over, closer to her boyfriend. They kissed softly for a moment, with Ned breaking away first. As he started the car, Nancy gave him a tender kiss on the cheek causing him to blush.

"Let's just drop off this film and then we can go sightseeing. We still have three hours before it gets dark around here anyway." Nancy commented as she checked her makeup in a small compact mirror.

"As you wish, my love." was his replay as they drove away.

Bonus Files:

Hey reader, is this chapter steamy enough for ya and do you have favorite couple from Nancy Drew? I would have to say the Nancy/Ned paring from the 2007 movie made the biggest impression on me. Feel free to comment below on what your thoughts based on this chapter this chapter and beyond.