Chapter 8-The Target

A unknown number appears on the screen of Camelia's cellular phone.

"Should I let it ring and have the voicemail pick up?" She mumbles in contemplation while biting her lower lip. It was Saturday afternoon as she and Gloriana lounged in the family room watching a movie.

"Who is it?" Gloriana asks, leaning her body forward to see the caller.

Camelia holds up her phone.

"Just answer."  She replies with a careless shrug of her shoulders.

Camelia stands and shuffles out to a more secluded area of the house as her phone rings and vibrates in her hands. 

Swiping the screen she answers.  "Hello?"

"Camelia." A soft masculine voice floods the line. "Hello, it's Kivanç speaking." 

Her lips part in surprise and her heart lurches in her chest uneasily. 

Kivanç

The handsome man at the charity auction. 

"Hello?  Are you there my beautiful lady?"  His thick accent vibrates loudly against her ear drum.  She pulls the phone away slightly from her ear, glancing at the screen.

Camelia frowns and gulps nervously.  Clasping her phone tightly she presses it against her ear once more. 

"Yes."  She replies breathlessly.  "I'm still here."

"I do hope I am not disturbing you?"  He asks curiously.

"No, ummm no, I'm at home watching a movie actually." 

"Hmmm...well how are you?"  Kivanç continues as if he never heard the awkwardness in her tone. 

"I'm fine, thank you.  How are you?"  Camelia asks pleasantly running her hands over her skirt, hoping she sounded in control.

"I am well.  I was wondering if I can have the pleasure of your company for dinner tonight.   I apologize for the short notice but I am expected back in Istanbul in two days time and I do not know when I return.   I also must admit, I'm quite eager to meet with you and I refuse to leave without seeing you again." 

Camelia blushes hotly. 

That was bold.  His statement sounded more like a plea, if not a little hopeful, as he asked for a short notice date. 

Her first date. 

It was sooner than she expected he'd phone shortly after the auction.  It passed nearly a week ago.  She face palms her forehead and begins pacing nervously not knowing how to respond.  Most girls would have been ecstatic to be asked out by such a handsome man but Camelia wasn't. 

She was scared again, and unprepared– never believing he would reach out to her.  But how was she expected to move on if she didn't take chances as she promised herself she'd do?  If she didn't step forward she'd be stuck in the same place and never know.

Kivanç's effort was a reflection of his interest. Her inner conscious reasoned. A man who was pursuing me for the first time in my life.