Chapter 5

A/N: Remember to COMMENT & VOTE at the end of the chapter....The more votes & comments I receive the quicker I'll update.

Thanks for reading and Enjoy!!!

*

After all the fucking shit we done been through
All the pussy niggas we done tend to
But it don't mean nothing when a nigga money low
Niggas will shoot you in the back and cut yo fucking throat like rich and alpoe
~ LIL BOOSIE

The next morning I woke up on time. Part of the reason was because I couldn't wait to see Rio.
Last night was the best night I'd ever had.
After getting out of the shower and drying off I tossed on a pair of dark denim jeans and an American Eagle pullover. I decided to wear my hair in a bun for the day.
I was definitely in need of a new wardrobe I thought to myself.
Sitting on the couch I waited for Rio to walk into the guest house. Occupying myself I flipped through the magazine that laid on the coffee table.
After glancing at the clock for what seemed like the hundredth time I realized he wasn't coming.
Walking out of the guest house I made my way into the kitchen.
Rio's mother stood over the stove cooking breakfast.
"Good morning." She said looking over her shoulder.
Taking a seat at the large marble top island I grabbed an apple out of the fruit bowl crunching down into it.
"You don't speak?" His mother snapped as she scraped the eggs from the skillet.
"I'm sorry." I said placing my hand over my lips so pieces of apple wouldn't fly from my mouth. "Good morning."
Shaking her head in disappointment she began taking two plates from the cabinet before bringing them to the island.
"What was your name again?" She asked.
"Lauren." I assured her.
It was something about Rio's mother that made me nervous every time she would come around.
Laying four pieces of bacon onto each plate and adding eggs to it she slid my plate to me.
"I'm usually not this nice to Mario's guest." She said taking a seat. "Consider yourself lucky."
Admiring the food I couldn't wait to dig in. My stomach growled like I hadn't ate in days.
"Do he usually have a lot of guest?"
I knew I shouldn't have been prying but what she said wasn't sitting well with me.
"That damn baby mother of his." She said shaking her head.
I chuckled as I scooped up a forkful of eggs bringing it to my mouth.
"Have you talked to him today?" I asked.
She broke off a piece of bacon before bringing a piece to her mouth.
"I'm lucky if I see Mario." She chuckled. "I've been seeing a lot of him lately-- that's only since you been here."
She made me blush. I really wanted to see him today.
"I've been tellin' him to bring my grand baby over here for the longest."
"CJ?" I asked.
"You've met him?" She frowned.
Our conversation was interrupted when the doorbell rung.
"I'll be back." His mother sighed as she stood up from her seat. "I can't have a peaceful breakfast." She nagged.
His mother was gone so long I was able to finish my food and clean the plate by time she returned.
Stepping into the room his mother stood next to an older man. The grey strands in his black hair showed he was older.
"Can I get you anything to drink Mark?" She asked making her way to the refrigerator.
Taking a seat where I was sitting before he grabbed an orange from the fruit bowl.
"No, it's okay Celia. I won't be here long."
He began peeling the outer layer from the orange.
"Whose this?" He asked referring to me.
Celia looked at me over her eye glasses before removing them from her face.
"Mario's girlfriend." She smirked.
At that moment I realized who Mark was.
Thinking back to the story Rio told me last night I pieced it together.
"Lauren." I said to him.
Glancing me up and down Mark smiled.
"He's done well."
Celia rolled her eyes.
"Mark, I know your not hitting on this young girl." She snapped.
We all where in the middle of talking when Rio walked into the kitchen holding a brown paper bag.
"Mario?" Celia asked in shock.
Making his way to the counter Rio sat down the bag.
"I should be goin." Mark said standing up from his seat.
Rio gritted his teeth as he mugged Mark.
"Maybe you should." He snapped.
Without saying anything Mark slipped out of the kitchen showing himself the way out.
"What is he still doin' comin' around?" He asked his mother.
The tension in the air was so thick you could see it.
"Mario." She pleaded as she made her way over to him. "He was just stopping by."
"Why?" He yelled.
Catching his mother off guard she jumped at the sudden rise in his tone.
Rio walked out of the kitchen making his way towards the front door.
"Mario wait." I called after him while following him.
Stopping in the foyer he waited for me.
"Are you okay?" I asked.
He balled his hands into fists and clenched his teeth showing his strong jaw bone.
"After all the shit he did to this family she still wanna put up with him." He frowned.
"I'm sorry." I said.
His face immediately turned soft as he pulled me into his arms resting his head on top of mine.
Pulling from the hug I noticed his face was bruised.
"What happened to your face?" I asked while touching his cheek.
"I had a lil' problem this morning." He said removing my hand. "I'm good."
Rio walked out the front door and I followed.
Walking to the car he unlocked the doors.
"Why don't you want to tell me?" I asked.
"Because it's better if you don't know anythin." He said. "It's for your safety shorty." He said dismissing the conversation and getting into the car.
The ride to the shop was quiet and quite awkward. I didn't expect for us to be this way since we had such a good night.
Rio began scrolling through his phone glancing back and forth from the road at the same time.
"What?" He asked as he tossed his phone into the cup holder.
"You've been really quiet."
Inhaling deeply and slowly exhaling he rubbed his waves.
"What happened last night--."
I cut him off before he could finish.
"You don't have to say it."
I was so use to disappointment it was no shock that he was going to tell me it was a mistake.
"Lauren, I do like you but--I have too much shit goin on and I don't want you involved in it. I let myself get sidetracked." He said.
"So you led me on?" I snapped.
Our conversation was cut short as he pulled up to the shop noticing Anthony outside with a group of guys.
Reaching under the driver's seat he pulled out a gun.
My heart stopped the moment I saw him opening the car door to get out.
"Stay here." He said before closing the door behind him.
Jogging over to the commotion the men backed away as soon as they noticed Rio walk up.
Hopping into their cars speeding off Rio pushed Anthony inside the shop.
Once I saw that everything was clear I stepped from the car and walked into the barbershop.
"Are you crazy?" Rio yelled. "Bringin' that shit around my shop!"
Anthony took a seat in one of the barber chairs.
"They ain't on shit man." He said.
"Bruh,--." Rio was cut off by uniform officers walking in.
"Put the gun down!" One officer yelled to Rio while reaching for his own gun.
My heart pounded against my chest as I watched the entire scene unfold before me.
Anthony's eyes bucked as both officers drew their guns from their hips.
Rio slowly bent down putting the gun on the ground.
"Hands up where I can see them." They called out to him.
Once Rio did as they said they tackled him to the ground placing the handcuffs on him.
Rio was pissed. His eyes said it all.
The officer began to read him his Miranda rights as they lifted him from the ground.
"Ya'll can't do this!"I yelled.
"Call my lawyer." Rio said as they walked him out of the shop.
Following them out to the car I noticed everyone from other businesses watched as they placed Rio into the squad car.
"What is he going in for?" I asked.
"We were responding to a disturbing the peace call and when we got here we found this young man in the shop holding a gun." He simply said.
My eyes shot to Anthony.
"A, this not my fault." He said.
The officers got into the car and drove away.
"You gotta do somethin'."
Anthony waved me off while walking back into the shop.
"I ain't gotta do shit shorty."
"This is all your fuckin' fault. He was tryna protect you!" I yelled.
Anthony took a seat back in one of the barber chairs pulling his phone from his pocket.
"Rio's a big boy. I ain't tell him to pull out that gun." He said nonchalantly.
Black walked into the shop not knowing what was going on.
"Sup." He said to both of us while walking over to Ant and dapping him. "Where Rio?"
Black made his way over to his cutting station and started getting ready for his first client.
"Them people just took his ass in." Ant said.
Black eyes widened at Anthony's words.
"Fuck you mean?" Black questioned.
I watched as Anthony told the story.
"We gotta do somethin'. He can't just sit in there." Black snapped.
"Put the money up." Anthony said.
Black rubbed his eyes.
"I don't have that kinda money but Ant, you do. Y'all just did that job together."
"What that mean?" Anthony asked as his eyes squinted.
"That mean you gon be the one to front the bond money. Fuck you mean what I mean?" Black snapped.
"Ima tell you just like I told sexy ass ova hea--I ain't gotta do shit."
Black was about to punch Anthony but Anthony already sensed what was coming and pulled out his gun.
"I wish you would." He said standing up from the chair.
Black backed down.
"If you didn't have that gun--." Black started to say.
"Yeah, well nigga I do."
Glancing at me Anthony instructed me to sit down.
"Y'all gone listen to me. Rio ass ain't comin' back no time soon so y'all might as well get use to seein' my face."
Black gritted his teeth. He was ready to beat Anthony to a bloody pulp.
When Anthony noticed a customer walk in he lowered his gun.
"Fuck up and I'll put a bullet in yo big ass." He said to Black. "Y'all do y'all jobs. I'll be back to check up on y'all."
He winked at me as he tucked his gun away and walked out of the shop.
Black turned and punched the glass mirror sending shattering glass everywhere.
The client turned around leaving out of the shop not far behind Anthony.
"Ima kill this nigga." He said not affected by the glass piercing his skin.
Finally snapping out of shock I stood to my feet.
"We just have to work together to get Mario out."
"Depending on his bond, I don't have that kind of money. I have three children and a sick grandma I gotta take care of." Black said shaking his head.
"We'll have to figure out a way but first we have to find out how much his bond is."
Black looked down at his cut up hand and slowly nodded his head in agreement.
"I can't let Mario sit in jail. He was there for me and I'm going to be there for him."
"You a good chick Lauren. Any other girl wouldn't give a fuck and leave him sittin' in jail." Black said.
Smiling at his words I suddenly remembered I had money left in the clutch I gave to Tania to hold last night. I walked towards the door.
"Be careful." He said to me.
"I will." I said assuring him

Walking up to Tania's house she sat outside on her stairs. I wanted to apologize for leaving her last night and to get my clutch.
"Hey." I said as I took a seat next to her.
"Hey."
"You still have my clutch from last night?" I asked getting straight to the point.
"It's inside." She said while standing to her feet and walking inside the house.
Shortly she returned with it in her hand passing it to me.
Opening the bag I made sure everything was still there. It's not that I didn't trust Tania but I needed to be sure.
"I heard Rio was arrested." She said randomly.
Word sure does travel fast I thought to myself.
"Yeah." I said softly.
"Do you have somethin goin on wit him?" She asked.
There was no use in hiding the truth.
"I been workin' at Kutz and he's been helpin' me out."
Tania frowned.
"You couldn't tell me that when I asked you a million times?" She snapped.
"I knew you would be mad."
"Bitch, you think I'm not now?" Her face contorted in anger.
She thought I didn't catch her calling me a "Bitch".
"Out of all the guys you chose to mess with the one guy I like." She said shaking her head in disappointment.
She had really lost her mind and turned into a true groupie.
"Why are you so mad at me when your sister dated him--. Wait, Rio and I aren't even dating." I said remembering the words he said to me earlier.
"That's real foul Lauren."
Taken aback by her foolishness I stood to my feet.
"Yea, maybe you should leave." She said.
Was she really acting like this?
Walking down the steps I started in the direction of the shop.
"I hope your son grows up to know his mama was a hoe!"
I was willing to walk away and keep our friendship but she had to take it to the next level.
"What?" I asked as my eyes welled in tears.
"You heard me." She said standing to her feet.
Flipping me off she walked inside her house slamming the door behind her.
Her words hit me deep. I only came over to apologize and be honest with her. Tears fell from my eyes.
Some friend I thought.

Taking the bus back to Rio's mother house I rung the doorbell waiting for her to answer.
Opening the door she stepped to the side to let me in.
"Have you been crying?" She asked noticing my tear stained face.
"I'm fine." I assured her. "Did you hear that Mario's in jail?"
"Yeah." She said slowly taking a deep breath. "I talked to his lawyer, his bond is set to twenty five thousand."
Twenty five thousand shouldn't be nothing for Celia to pay I thought to myself.
"I don't have that kind of money and Mario won't give anyone access to his accounts." She assured me.
"Not even you?"
"Honey, Mario has extreme trust issues. Ever since his father walked out he has had a fear of getting close to anyone, trusting anyone."
She shook her head.
"He's afraid of gettin' hurt." She added.
Now I understand why he acted the way he did earlier I thought to myself.
After exchanging a few words with Celia I decided to go to the guest house to lay down.
Climbing into the bed and getting comfortable Celia words replayed through my mind.
Rio didn't trust anyone. Not even his own mother.
I hated that everything about him was a mystery.
Drowning in my thoughts I slowly drifted off to sleep.