Chapter 11

Chapter 11

"You're gonna have to excuse me for the entire hour for this," Levi said, shutting the headmaster's door behind him. "We can't keep meeting like this."

"That depends," Dr. Edsel replied. "Have you found anything interesting?"

"Don't you have anything more 'interesting' to do with your life?" Levi sat down. "Cowdry was more of a pain in the ass today than usual. Why don't you obsess over her instead of Miles?"

Edsel just rolled his eyes. "Did you find something or not?"

"Of course I did." Levi tossed the unlocked phone toward the principal. It skidded across the desk before he caught it. "And I think you'll find it to be somewhat noteworthy."

Edsel pursed his lips before turning to the device. Then it chimed to life, and his eyes lit up like the screen.

***

"What do we do now?" Wallace said as he plopped on his bed. "Penelope's been taken down a peg, but I can't think of doing anything worse than what's already happened."

"Knowing her, the whole incident will probably blow over in a week or two." Jeno crossed his arms. "But you're right. Destroying her is far more complex than I initially thought."

"It kills me to say this, but we have to find a way to partner up with Artemis," Miren offered, scratching her head. "We need an inside man—someone who's close to her."

Wallace nodded. "I was talking to Chara. She said Artemis made up with Penelope, but just for show. However, she's not entirely sure what she's up to."

Miren sighed. It was hard to believe they had reached an impasse. She hissed, hating what she was about to say. "Maybe we just need to hold off for the time being. Like you said, I'm not just doing this because of her, but to have a life. Missing part of the assembly had to be a sign. We need to think really hard about this. Like it or not, our actions have ramifications." She turned to Wallace. "How is Parker holding up? Has the headmaster threatened any punishment?"

"No." Wallace rubbed his chin. "But Edsel and Castro are tightening up security measures because of all these shenanigans. Like you said, it's going to be harder to infiltrate Rosemunde."

Miren rose to her feet, breathing in this complicated reality. "We have to do everything we can to take her down without getting her expelled. But I don't think Artemis cares about this. One of us needs to talk to her soon."

"Fair enough," Jeno said, also rising. "Either Wallace or I will. But it'll have to be after the student administration meeting." He motioned to Miren. "You're coming too."

She blinked. "Why?"

"Because you're our new treasurer. Adam stepped down to focus on his leading role in the musical." He couldn't hide the mocking gleam in his eyes. "He takes his art very seriously."

Wallace snickered as Jeno moved her toward the door. Miren pursed her lips in contempt before following. She signed up for a lot of bullshit, but not this.

***

It was that wonderfully bland part of the academic year, so other than an SAT prep seminar next week and an open house in December, there was not much on the menu.

Miren sunk into her seat onstage as she watched the members of each class council and student administration take note of the agenda. She was right—this was a boring waste of time.

Which was why she kept sneaking glances at Parker.

He was on the opposite side of the stage, next to the senior class vice-president Soren, and junior class president, Henry. She pursed her lips as Jeno discussed the open house further.