chapter fourteen

Evelyn found the next day flying past before her eyes. Classes were either cut short or went so fast that Evelyn barely felt as though she was even in them. By six o'clock that evening, there was not a single student outside of their common room, every single one was inside preparing for the night to come. Although the Christmas Ball had initially started as being exclusively for members of the Slug Club, Professor Slughorn had been convinced by Headmaster Dippet to extend the invitation to all students, meaning that the dance had been moved to a far greater location: the Great Hall.

Evelyn began her preparation as soon as class ended. Once she was in her common room, she snuck into the bathroom, claiming it for a calming soak. Bathing was a chance for Evelyn to clear her mind; as the water drained out of the bath, it was as though all of her problems went away with it. Evelyn soaked herself for what felt like hours until her skin began to prune and the water began to turn her nails blue. Briskly, she dried herself off and headed back into her dorm where Lily and Sara were already getting ready. She slid onto the bed with her friends and began applying her makeup.

Shortly after, Evelyn was ready; her face had been painted and her dress flowed as she walked. "You look wonderful Evelyn." Lily beamed at her as she got up from the bed, her own turquoise dress hugging her hips.

"You too," Evelyn smiled at her two best friends, who sat looking more beautiful than ever on their bed. Despite wanting to stay and appreciate her friends further, Evelyn despised being tardy and she knew Tom did as well. If she had any chance of retrieving information from him tonight, she had to leave a good impression. "I have to go early, Tom will be waiting for me." Evelyn already knew that Lily and Sara disapproved of her date, even though they never mentioned it, she could tell just by their reactions once she said his name. She gave her friends a brief smile and fled from the common room.

Evelyn knew the ball was the perfect chance to interact with Tom. She knew he wouldn't be an easy code to crack but with enough perseverance, hopefully, she would be able to remove his masquerade and reveal his plans: whatever they were, they needed to be stopped. As Evelyn hurried through the corridors, she felt her heart racing; tonight was make or break for her. Every step fuelled the anxiety inside her body, sending a hurricane coursing through her veins. As soon as she saw Tom, everything stopped. It was only him and her in the world; nothing else mattered. Evelyn locked onto her target, making her way towards him with a smile.

"You got my dress then." His eyes met with hers, his lips making their way to her hand and placing a cold kiss onto it. "It looks nice."

Before Evelyn even had a chance to be shocked at Tom's compliment, he had taken her hand and began leading her into the Hall, walking slowly as they both explored their surroundings. Evelyn knew that Hogwarts usually went all out on events, but she had never in her time at the school seen such extravagant decorations. Emerald, crimson and gold fabrics hung from the ceilings, intertwining as the wind blew in across the all. Gold ornate lamps dangled from the ceiling, their centre's housing groups of tiny fairies, lights streaming from their iridescent wings and illuminating the hall. Evelyn and Tom made their way deeper into the Great Hall, eventually finding themselves stood on the dancefloor just a few feet apart.

Tom looked at Evelyn, as though he was assessing her, before sliding his hands onto her waist. Evelyn hung her arms around his neck in response, beginning to move in time with the beat of the music, which unfortunately for the pair, was slow. Neither of them said a word, their eyes simply meeting each other was enough. The slow music twirled like a thread around them, pulling them closer together. Despite the closeness, there was no tension between the two, their bodies moved as one, forgetting all of their histories.

Abruptly, Evelyn pulled away, her hands pressing themselves against her head as a sharp pain coursed through her body. "It was you." She called, staring him in the eyes. "I'm not a book, you can't just pick and choose to read me whenever. If you want something just ask." Her voice was filled with anger as she spoke.

"Tell me about your parents." Tom didn't say another word as he changed the topic, taking Evelyn's hand and leading her to one of the golden tables scattered across the Great Hall.

Evelyn was taken aback by his calmness. His voice was quiet, yet confident; his eyes locking onto hers with not a glimmer of anger present. "They were great wizards." She paused, looking at Tom who leant in closer towards her. "They worked as Aurors for the Ministry after they left Hogwarts. They died a year ago."

"How?"

"In a muggle accident, someone hit them with their automobile." Evelyn shivered, recalling the moment that her grandparents had told her of their fate.

Tom looked her up and down for a few moments. "That's not true."

"Tom. You weren't there." Evelyn rolled her eyes at his remark. "It's true."

"It isn't Evelyn. Did you see it happen? No, you didn't." His face remained calm despite Evelyns voice beginning to shake as she spoke.

"I used legilimens on one of the reporters for the Daily Prophet. They couldn't publish the truth, Evelyn."

"You're lying." By this point, tears had begun to form in her eyes, threatening to fall as she spoke.

"What would I gain from lying Evelyn?"

"Why would you tell me this?" Evelyn couldn't stop the tears from falling from her eyes. "What do you want in return?"

"I want you, Evelyn." He titled his head, analysing her expression.

Evelyn's mouth fell open, a puzzled look plastering itself across her face. "Me? Why? What for?"

"You can feel things. You can understand people, you know what other people want. I need you to be my emotions." His face remained expressionless as he spoke, his eyes staying locked onto hers.

"I don't understand."

"I've been watching you, as you have me, and I've learnt more than you would imagine. You can feel emotions that I cannot, you can understand animals in ways I do not care to. You will be a useful asset to my team. I have the powers to grant you anything you desire Evelyn, anything at all."

"Could you bring my parents back?" She wiped the tears from her face.

"I could. I could tell you more about their death as well. If you join me, once we are done, they will be back with you." Evelyn didn't doubt him. His magic was far superior to anything she'd ever seen before, he could do things that nobody else could. "Evelyn, will you join me?"

Evelyn paused. She could say no, she could turn around, go to sleep and never think of her encounter with Tom again. Saying no was the hard option, saying yes would be easy. If she said yes, she would be one step closer to stopping him, she could have everything she ever wanted; she could have her parents back. Mustering up all the courage she could, she rose from her seat, wiping away the final tears from her eyes.

"Do you wish to help me ?" He hurried her.

Taking a deep breath in, she whispered the answer she knew would change her life.

"No."